Lake Trout video

Gill-T

That would be on my bucket list of things to do before I get more crippled up than I already am!! I think that those monster lake trout are awesome!! I intend to put a lot more time into fishing Lakers this year!!

If you want the big ones PAP then throw a big bait out there.  Guys fishing out west use Cisco Kid Musky plugs to catch big lakers.  I have been testing huge spoons for Lakers in the spring to target the big ones in April.  I am up to 7" spoons and may try larger.

If you want the big ones PAP then throw a big bait out there.  Guys fishing out west use Cisco Kid Musky plugs to catch big lakers.  I have been testing huge spoons for Lakers in the spring to target the big ones in April.  I am up to 7" spoons and may try larger.

Goes with the "big lures for big fish" attitude. I like it. A 7" spoon sounds like a good time ! I'd have a hard time sending a 30$ musky lure down to the rocks though...
  • Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:10 PM, Gill-T said:

I find to get the big ones, you need to match the hatch. In a body of water like Lake Ontario, they are eating gobies and Alewife.  Running big baits does not represent natural forage.  In northern Canada, huge stuff works because they are eating bigger fish than Lake O lakers. 

I think to underscore the point Brian is making without "tooting his own horn" it  is pretty clear that the Lake O lakers love his Gambler rigs which are surely on the small side when compared with 7 inch spoons and yet produce huge lakers in that environment.

2 hours ago, Sk8man said:

I think to underscore the point Brian is making without "tooting his own horn" it  is pretty clear that the Lake O lakers love his Gambler rigs which are surely on the small side when compared with 7 inch spoons and yet produce huge lakers in that environment.

10/4 Les that’s how I took it also, so we know they’ll take a 7” spoon which I don’t think I’ve ever seen before right down to the beatle spin&glows that Brian makes and uses with great success. Also I have many of his fist “out” Riggs and now I see he has them doubled up. That’s a mouthful also. I’m hoping to get some of those at the Brewerton show. I’m beginning to think I have a problem? I think I have a lure buying addiction!! I just can’t say no!....

10/4 Les that’s how I took it also, so we know they’ll take a 7” spoon which I don’t think I’ve ever seen before right down to the beatle spin&glows that Brian makes and uses with great success. Also I have many of his fist “out” Riggs and now I see he has them doubled up. That’s a mouthful also. I’m hoping to get some of those at the Brewerton show. I’m beginning to think I have a problem? I think I have a lure buying addiction!! I just can’t say no!....

U aren't alone,brother

That Lake is the real deal, true world class Lakers, Pike, Walleye & Arctic Grayling. 

My wife and I fished Athabasca about 10 years ago out of "Lakers Unlimited" Lodge.

Nearly 250 fish for the week. Largest Laker we caught was 34 pounds had a couple on that the guide estimated at 40+/- 

We landed apprx 30 fish over 20 pounds. The week before we were there they landed several 40+ & one at 52 pounds.

Spent one day split between Pike & Grayling. Caught my first ever Grayling and PB pike.

We fished primary 40-50' water and slow trolled/jigged with Husky Devle's. Rod in hand.

Also used dodgers with the hootchie attached right to the tail end of the dodger, if you ran a leader of any length they pass on the hootchie and would hit the dodger.

One day when it got little slow our guide pulled out some bondi baits and we caught fish on these too.

All fish released except one day we had a shore lunch with a small one.

All fish released boat side in the water using a cradle and never coming out of the water. With the exception of a couple larger ones for photos.

Regarding spoon size. I have tried using the Husky Devles in the same method on Lake Ontario for Lakers on several occasions out of Oswego. In the spring when Brown trout fishing had slowed for the day. Never had a hit, put on the spinners and started catching again. So I think matching forage size certainly has something to do with it. May try again but with Husky Jr's or another spoon. Regardless its tough to beat Brian's rigs on Lake O

I put the big gear out because the laker numbers you catch in April off Niagara county is crazy and I want to weed out "small" fish.  I say small but 7-8 lb lakers are trophys everywhere else.  I can tell you big spoons do match the hatch as most of the deep bait coming out of winter are adult alewives.  My time on the Kaho showed me that 6-8" alewives is what is available.  With the supposed hole in certain adult alewife year classes, I think going with smaller baits would make sense.  The slimy sculpin that were netted were only 2-4".  Not sure how much the bloater chubby will play a role....might be putting  a hook off a dodger one day??