Rigger weight comparison

Ok guys,  I'm not looking for any particular brand comparison because I know you will all have your favorites.  What I'm looking for is mainly a comparison in styles.

In same pound weights of course, say 10 lbs.   How much difference is there between the round ball style with keel (which is all I have ran) vs the pancake style vs Fish shaped vs torpedo.

Tracking, blowback, twisting etc.  Common sense figures that the round ones would have more drag than the others but as expensive as these are I was just wondering if it would be significant enough to switch to another style.  Thanks

Regardless of the weight considered go with either the shark shaped or the torpedo shape - all the difference inthe world. Troutman87 on LOU has the torpedo style and bikinibottom on here has the shark style both great weights.

• Like 1

I run both in the 10# style I think the torpedo seems to be the best in my style of fishing, but have herd that the sharks are just a tad better when fished past 50’ in currents?? 

2 hours ago, VooDoo said:

Ok guys,  I'm not looking for any particular brand comparison because I know you will all have your favorites.  What I'm looking for is mainly a comparison in styles.

In same pound weights of course, say 10 lbs.   How much difference is there between the round ball style with keel (which is all I have ran) vs the pancake style vs Fish shaped vs torpedo.

Tracking, blowback, twisting etc.  Common sense figures that the round ones would have more drag than the others but as expensive as these are I was just wondering if it would be significant enough to switch to another style.  Thanks

10# rigger weights are not meant to fish deep. I run 8# weights in the spring only because i am in shallow water. 8, 10, even 12# are a bit light for deeper rigger fishing. I would consider a heavier weight before considering a specific style.15# round cannon ball wins every time over a 10# torpedo. With that being said sharks and torpedos perform very well to fight drag. I dont use pancake weights anymore but their biggest attribute is that you can bend their fin and they will widen your rigger spead.

Rob brings up and interesting issue: weight of the object vs. shape (hydrodynamic relationship in the water). There may be data on it that I am unaware of but either factor relates to "blowback" or the water resistance encountered by the weight pushing it backward and thus forcing the depth of the weight and lure upward. I haven't ever done a direct comparison with specific measurements of the two but an additional thing to consider is whether your downrigger can tolerate the heavier weights. Many of the older Cannon electrics (e.g. older 10's or 10A's) which are still in use by quite a few folks are not recommended for weights in excess of 10 lbs. because of motor wear concerns. In that case the options become more limited and the shaape of the weight may become more important. A 10 lb shark weight slips through the water quite nicely within the first 100 ft or less with less of an angle less than that of a cannonball weight which tends to go a little sideways (especially the ones without a back fin) as well as riding upward more, but trolling speed (and current) is also a big factor. The heavier the weight the more it tends to stay down when speeds are increased and as the weight goes deeper as well and this is especially apparent at depths in excess of 80-100 ft.but you need a downrigger capable of handling these heavier weights too.

Edited by Sk8man

I think the biggest advantage to braid is  quieting the "sing" of the rigger cable.  Although it will help with blowback some.  Compare a braid dipsy to a mono dipsy.  The braid will get deeper with the same amount of line out just simply because of the smaller diameter.

I have Big Jon Captains Pak riggers.  They are rated for 20 lbs although I think that might be a bit excessive, not to mention being hard on my gunnels and booms.  I realize heavier weights would be better for deeper water.  I was using 10 lb weights as an example.  You could compare 15 lb weights.  I was just wondering if there would be a significant advantage to the style of the weight, everything else being equal..  Would i see a major difference switching from cannonball with a keel to a fish shape or torpedo of the same weight.  Just trying to figure out if the difference would be worth the investment since I alread have the Cabelas cannonballs with a keel.

The main difference for rme is that the shark weights seem to track better in the water.I used the cannonball with rudder and fish type for years before switching and glad I did.

I second what Les said, I only have the mag 10’s so I’m pushing the limits with the 12# torpedoes. We did a test on the pancake style after being frustrated by going through schools of fish with no releases. We set our rigger at 75ft down and drove towards shore at troll speed 2.3gps speed we didn’t bump up till we hit 50ft of water. So we were fishing 25ft above the fish. So now I let out out 25 more feet of cable when fishing 75ft or more of water and our catch rate naturally went way up. This year I’m putting on mag 20’s I bought. I will say that I absolutely hate how ridiculously fast they are. I don’t know if I trust to put my probe on these riggers, it really makes me nervous!!

17 hours ago, VooDoo said:

I think the biggest advantage to braid is  quieting the "sing" of the rigger cable.  Although it will help with blowback some.  Compare a braid dipsy to a mono dipsy.  The braid will get deeper with the same amount of line out just simply because of the smaller diameter.

I have Big Jon Captains Pak riggers.  They are rated for 20 lbs although I think that might be a bit excessive, not to mention being hard on my gunnels and booms.  I realize heavier weights would be better for deeper water.  I was using 10 lb weights as an example.  You could compare 15 lb weights.  I was just wondering if there would be a significant advantage to the style of the weight, everything else being equal..  Would i see a major difference switching from cannonball with a keel to a fish shape or torpedo of the same weight.  Just trying to figure out if the difference would be worth the investment since I alread have the Cabelas cannonballs with a keel.

Braid certainly helps with blow back and the guys using it would agree that this would be the number 1 reason they switched to it. 

As for downrigger weights... you will notice a huge difference between cannonball and torpedos when fishing deep. Torpedos really cut threw the water great. IMO, Sharks land somewhere in the middle of the two with resistance. The big thing is they create some additional under water noise/disturbance and fish tend to like them. You will see a lot of boats that are fishing deep running a torpedo on their probe rigger and sharks on the others. Shhhh, dont tell anyone that secret!

If you notice there are as many opinions on this as there are weights. When that's the case it's usually user preference, not fact, and what works a particular boat. Deep fishing need heavyweights, the primary concern is tracking.

Different boats are affected differently by wind and current. Everything out there is good, what best can be argued about, pick what you like follow the rule, lighter ones when shallow heavy for deep (the deeper the heavier). If you're getting more than 6 to 8 feet of blowback at the ball I say you're too deep for your weight go heavier, or fish shallower.  Get a few light ones say 8 or 10# for shallow and a couple of the heaviest ones your rigger will handle then go from there, don't worry you will get many opportunities to replace them if you fish much. 

And if you may hit the bottom (even a chance) run a ball or if using a herby or fish style hook it to the cable by the tail so it will swing and not hang up on rocks.

PK