Rather disturbing info

I was part of the NYS health department study on contamination levels in your body a couple years ago.  I eat a lot of fish from Lake Ontario and the Fingerlakes.  All of the contamination levels in my body were very low. 

Edited by GAMBLER

This is old news. I laugh at this far left propaganda. these people that write these articles are lost out in left field. most of them believe in their BS. these people won't tell us the real truth. they get paid to spread the BS around.  you think I listen to this crap. the air I breath, the water I drink, the food I eat and the list goes on and on. the food we get from the super market is killing us not the fish we get from our fishing hole. I eat finger lakes trout. I don't eat them everyday. trout from Seneca won't kill you. fake news is killing you. go out enjoy you sport. catch lots of fish and if you want to eat a few. go ahead. turn off the fake news. people are brain dead today because of it. 

I don't think it's a political thing far-left or far right but I agree with you about the air we breathe the food we buy at the grocery stores the water we drink is contaminated with something to eat in a few fish I don't think it's going to be a big deal

Sent from my XT1609 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I read this article a few days ago.  While I do have  concern about heavy metal contamination in fish,  this particular article provides no data to support its claims.  I don't necessarily doubt the information in it, but they should have provided some actual details into what they have studied and found.  I will look later to see if I can find any scientific papers that this group of people have produced...... I remember reading a few years ago that there was going to be medical tests done on a group of Asian immigrants from Syracuse that had regularly consumed fish they had caught from Onondaga Lake over a long amount of time.  I thought this was a great idea because if there were no adverse effects from eating fish from there then there probably wouldn't be from anywhere.  I however have done a few searches since and havent been able to find anything further about it.

3 hours ago, Ray4852 said:

This is old news. I laugh at this far left propaganda. these people that write these articles are lost out in left field. most of them believe in their BS. these people won't tell us the real truth. they get paid to spread the BS around.  you think I listen to this crap. the air I breath, the water I drink, the food I eat and the list goes on and on. the food we get from the super market is killing us not the fish we get from our fishing hole. I eat finger lakes trout. I don't eat them everyday. trout from Seneca won't kill you. fake news is killing you. go out enjoy you sport. catch lots of fish and if you want to eat a few. go ahead. turn off the fake news. people are brain dead today because of it. 

This is not a Republican/Democratic issue, it is a health issue.  Cancer does not care what your political affiliation is.  These are just guidelines for people to make educated decisions about what they consume.  The state has to put this information out for liability reasons.  There are no "fish police" out there preventing you from eating what you want.  If you want to eat the fish you catch......eat it (BTW every fish sold in stores has heavy metals also).  

We import pineapples from Vietnam that to this very day sprays 5 times the amount of ddt the US. did before they banned it, yet the US. Still imports them, they don’t give a 1 flying shyt about what we eat. How does this relate to the topic you say, Sponge Bob lives in a pineapple under the sea.:lol: 

Did a little research:

DEC webpage refers to Dept. of Health. for recommendations.

DOH webpage with current reccomendations for Finger Lakes region:

https://www.health.ny.gov/environmental/outdoors/fish/health_advisories/regional/fingerlakes.htmu

Only Finger lake mentioned is Candice.

Skaneateles CREEK is mentioned, but it's down stream of the lake.

I am having either serious credibility problems with the reporter, or with the scientist involved. Pretty sure DEC/DOH would be on top of this given the study was from 2015, plenty of time to update advisory.  I think they would have said sometihing by now.

I would suggest calling out the author &  or the scientist involved and questioning why the DOH doesn't mention it, as well as contacting the DEC/DOH and see what their take is on the study.

Posible reasons for this: Sensationalistic Journalism, Scientist trying to promote funding for w problem that doesn't exist, etc.. etc.. Something is rotten here.

Edited by UglyStik
update
  • Like 1

Nice one K-9

As far as the newspaper article and information goes - The scientist who presented the seminar at FLCC is Dr. Roxanne Razavi who is an Assistant Professor at SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry. She gave a presentation to the public in conjunction with Finger Lakes Institute the group that studies many aspects of the lakes and watershed. These weren't political folks with some agenda...they are trying just to inform people while they are conducting research...it isn't the government telling you to do something Ray or some leftist conspiracy. Ugly Stik - there is nothing rotten about it .....just a matter of not getting overly technical about presenting information to a general public audience (i.e. not scientists or colleagues) and avoiding a frequent criticism of the scientific community where folks are overwhelmed by terms and data presentations etc. The article didn't answer in depth all the considerations but rather introduced the topic to the public for further consideration while they are researching it. I posted it because I thought it was worthy of at least bringing to people's attention for their own consideration or desire to research it further.

Edited by Sk8man

SK8, not bashing you at all, in fact thanks for posting it. It should be a concern to all if there was mercury in ALL the finger lakes, as the article apparently misleads one to believe. I am all for not polluting them. However I think advisories are up to the DOH & DEC to make. If they have conclusive evidence they should report it and it would become posted on the DOH site. If they have reported it and it is Not getting posted then there would be a problem. I think the bigger concerns now should be with green algea blooms and fertilizer runoff, but who am I to say.

• Like 1

Gill-T

The daily messenger is fake news. 95 percent of the media in the United States is controlled by the democrat party. they control the EPA and the FDA. our lakes didn't become polluted by climate change and coal usage. they got polluted by people from the EPA that didn't do their job. you can blame the special interest here. my opinion Canandaigua got polluted by to much development and over populated boat usage. we can blame farm run off too. years ago we sprayed DDT. this  ran into the lake and we needed a fish consumption law.  LT over 25 inches eat one per month. I release the bigger fish and keep the little fish 15 to 20 inches to eat. they havent killed me yet. you cant beat finger lakes trout. they melt in my mouth. I love them backed and smoked. best eating in the world. Seneca lake fish are safer to eat. I eat the small fish here also. they haven't killed me yet. we cant find any water on our planet that has clean safe water.  man polluted everything. I won't listen to articles like this. I use common sense on everything I do   today. screw the media.

• Like 1

Ugly Stik I didn't take offense to your comments .....just trying to clarify things from my original post and I agree with youabut the algae boom stuff etc.

And your original post was good. I was under the false assumption that trimming belly fat and other parts got rid of most of the mercury. Not true, this method applies to myrex, pcb's, dioxin but not mercury I guess. This came from Lake Ontario reccomendations from long ago (I think?). Maybe someone can chime in on the original lake o reccomendations that remembers or has a copy. 

As for the article, I am questioning how such results found 3 years ago could not have found their way to DEC/DOH reccomendations as they would represent a serious health threat. We would be no different than the folks eating out of the Onondaga Lake tribs. And the sweeping generalization of Finger Lakes is bad.

Edited by UglyStik
typo

16 minutes ago, UglyStik said:

And your original post was a good. I was under the false assumption that trimming belly fat and other parts got rid of most of the mercury. Not true, this method applies to myrex, pcb's, dioxin but not mercury I guess. This came from Lake Ontario reccomendations from long ago (I think?). Maybe someone can chime in on the original lake o reccomendations that remembers or has a copy. 

As for the article, I am questioning how such results found 3 years ago could not have found their way to DEC/DOH reccomendations as they would represent a serious health threat. We would be no different than the folks eating out of the Onondaga Lake tribs. And the sweeping generalization of Finger Lakes is bad.

For a while the Lake Ontario recommendation was to eat no trout and salmon, and for a while they closed fishing and stopped stocking because of the contaminant concerns.  This was because of the high concentrations of PCB's and dioxins, which are found everywhere at some level due to atmospheric transport, and mirex, which originated from the Hooker Chemical discharge to the Niagara River, and from one "dumping" in the Oswego River.  These are " lipophilic compounds, which means that they partition from Aquatic media (water based) to lipids, or fats, so they are stored in higher concentrations in the fatty parts of the fish.  Heavy metals are not lipophiclic, and they get "trapped" in muscle tissue. They can be removed by a process called chelation, but this is not a common (except for lead in children) or risk-free procedure. Metals in fish continue to accumulate over the lifetime of the organism, and get passed to any organism that consumes the contaminated fish. 

1200px-MercuryFoodChain.svg.png

mercury_fish.jpg

Les,

Thank you for posting.

I didn't see the talk.  The article is incomplete and lopsided.  I can not form an opinion based on what is in there.  While there is truth there it has no relevance to my lifestyle since there is no comparitive references.  There are bodies of water, even the fingerlakes where I will not eat fish and then there are other bodies of water where I will eat the fish and it is based on taste and not how contaminated the fish may be.  A good start would be some LD 50 and other meal choices for a reference point.  An actual MD referring to the benefits versus the risks of eating said fish.  Keeping smaller fish is always a better idea. 

For those of you that do not want to eat the walleye that you catch any more.  I will gladly accept all walleye (subject to further scrutiny) not caught in the lower Genny or Hudson rivers.  I find my X-men powers to be very helpful.:nerd:

Joe

And you guys laughed at my pineapple story, see we sprayed DDT. but we’re smart enough to stop, a little late?? Who knows but we still import them 5 times more lethal, but no one says you can’t buy them and eat them!!

Pap

I didn’t think your pineapple post was funny. I agree with you 100 percent. We banned DDT yrs ago in the united state because it was very toxic. We should’ve banned it from the face of the earth. We turned around and sold it to other countries around the world.  They use it now to spray on their crops and sell the product back to us. Our big chemical companies control all the chemicals in the world today.  Big one now is the GMO.  They are just starting to seep into the earth. Special interest groups have a big hold on the media today. They won’t tell the American people the real truth because our media is controlled by the democrat party. Why do you think we have a lot of cancer?  100 yrs ago a man and woman looked very thin. Today they look big and round because of all the chemicals and food growth hormones they put in our beef and chickens. We don’t feed our animals the natural way anymore we fatten them up with chemicals.  A lot of people today mostly rural are growing their own fruit and vegetables and raising their own beef and chickens.