Line counter reels

I'm upgrading to all new reels on my downrigger rods and was pretty much set on Okuma Convectors. While browsing one of the LOU sponsors online catalogs, I came across the Penn Warfare line counters. I'm sure they're made outside the US, as are many reels these days. Anyone have any experience with them or offer any insights? The WAR30LWLC is capable of holding a ton of 30# line, which is what I use. Holds more than the CV-30D Okumas, according to the specs. Priced about the same as the Convectors, too. Thoughts? Thanks!

Sent from my XT1060 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

We used that model in the fall because we wanted to load an extra reel with braid on a dipsy.  It boated a 32lb 10oz salmon.  I found the 15lb drag maximum on them is not enough for a salmon.  It was a new reel but after a few salmon boated, you had to tighten the drag way too much for it to work comfortably.  The drag was still smooth after all them fish but it felt like it was past its limits.  I really liked how it felt, the smoothness of the reel and how it handled itself in battle.  The gear ratio was great for this reel.  I would recommend this reel for walleye, browns, bass or bows.....just not salmon.  I have found a reel with a higher gear ratio and a drag around 20 lbs to be the best for salmon.  Convectors hold up good, you only have to replace the drags each time they weaken.  I find the Tekota 600 is weak on the drags even when you replace them.  If you do go with Tekota's for salmon, try a Tekota 700.  I tried last year at the marina a few reels from friends.  The best reel was the Daiwa Saltist 50.  It is smooth with a 6:1 - 1 gear ratio and a drag around 20lbs.  As long as you have the one without the line counter that is.  Their line counter reel is just in an awkward place.  I am about to try a Daiwa Seagate 60 this year for copper and also would like any input on these as the drag is around 20 lbs and it has a higher gear ratio for resetting lines.

I would say if you fish 1 to 2 days a week the Okuma convectors are a great reel. Magna Pros have problems with the line counters. And they also don't have the best Drag. It's all what's in your budget Shimano definitely has fantastic reels. Good luck to you

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

We used that model in the fall because we wanted to load an extra reel with braid on a dipsy.  It boated a 32lb 10oz salmon.  I found the 15lb drag maximum on them is not enough for a salmon.  It was a new reel but after a few salmon boated, you had to tighten the drag way too much for it to work comfortably.  The drag was still smooth after all them fish but it felt like it was past its limits.  I really liked how it felt, the smoothness of the reel and how it handled itself in battle.  The gear ratio was great for this reel.  I would recommend this reel for walleye, browns, bass or bows.....just not salmon.  I have found a reel with a higher gear ratio and a drag around 20 lbs to be the best for salmon.  Convectors hold up good, you only have to replace the drags each time they weaken.  I find the Tekota 600 is weak on the drags even when you replace them.  If you do go with Tekota's for salmon, try a Tekota 700.  I tried last year at the marina a few reels from friends.  The best reel was the Daiwa Saltist 50.  It is smooth with a 6:1 - 1 gear ratio and a drag around 20lbs.  As long as you have the one without the line counter that is.  Their line counter reel is just in an awkward place.  I am about to try a Daiwa Seagate 60 this year for copper and also would like any input on these as the drag is around 20 lbs and it has a higher gear ratio for resetting lines.

I felt the 15lb drag perhaps wouldn't be enough, as well. Thanks for offering up that bit of info. I'm upgrading from Daiwa SG47LCA's which I got many, many solid years out of.

I would say if you fish 1 to 2 days a week the Okuma convectors are a great reel. Magna Pros have problems with the line counters. And they also don't have the best Drag. It's all what's in your budget Shimano definitely has fantastic reels. Good luck to you

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I'm basically a weekend warrior throughout the season, with 2 weeks a year on vacation and on the water as much as possible. I love Tekotas and have worked with them on friends' boats. I'm replacing 6 reels, so the Tekotas would be pricey in the end, but I know they'd last and hold up. Decisions, decisions...

I have Tekota's.  They are like the old 283 motors.  They can take beating even without oil.  The service on these reels is top of the line.  You can mail your reel in for repairs and they return it in new condition.  They are pros in bringing the reel back to specs and the cost is affordable.  The only drawback I have on Tekota's is when using long lines like a 250' + dispy or long copper/leadcore.  It just takes way too long to retrieve.  We even take turns on the 400' copper to retrieve when we don't have a new excited person onboard.  They are perfect for use on downriggers and boards.  If they ever come out with a Great Lakes high speed Tekota reel, I would be all over this.  Would be nice if you could just change a gear in it for an upgrade.

If you want a higher drag in a smaller reel for riggers, check out the Daiwa Saltist H-C model. They have 20 pounds for both the 20 and 30 sizes, compared to 15.4 pounds for the Saltist HA models in size 20 and 30. Best price is on EBay and Walmart.com (that I could find).

http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/reels/saltist_h-c/index.html#

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United