Summer fishing in Cape Cod

DJ 17

Looking at taking my family to Cape Cod this summer and am looking into fishing possibilities. Would like to take my wife and twin 6 year olds if possible. Any info about local opportunities/charter options would be appreciated.

Thanks,

DJ

My wife and I are headed down to Cape Cod in July.

stripersonline is another site that has lots of members that can shed some light on questions.

I have been asking questions for the last few weeks about the area.

Good luck.

Mitch

Not sure where you wil be staying on the Cape  which is a factor. Something to consider is the age of the kids. The ocean can be VERY rough on a given day and you don't want them to have a negative experience at that age (e.g. seasick). If it were just you the striper idea is good but if you want the kids and your wife to have fun the bay side of the Cape may be your best bet in that you can fish for smaller species and bottom fish etc. without all the rough water most of the time and they will surely catch something . Striper fishing there is off and on and sometimes you need to go out aways on the ocean side to find them. Rock Harbor near Eastham/Orleans is a real good bet. There are 20 or more charter guys there to choose from and an office there with all sorts of information that is manned full time in the summer and a small beach if they like searching for billy crabs etc.. It is pretty well protected compared with the "ocean" side of the Cape. The National Seashore is nearby with a cool museum that has exhibits for kids and plenty of good restaurants nearby including "Arnolds" right on Route #6 that has all sorts of "kid food" as well as seafood for adults. Down the road off Rt 6 is Wellfleet which has a cool harbor area with fishing from the pier and great restaurants and there is often a big flea market on the premises of the Wellfleet theatre near there often during the summer and lots of kids things there.

Edited by Sk8man

All good points. I have fished for stripers a few times, so I would like to try something else if possible. Fish to take home would be a priority as well.  Are there many charters that specialize in fishing the bay side so the kids can enjoy as well?

Rock Harbor is on the bay side which is why I suggested it. It is mid Cape so there is a lot to do out there in the summer but the traffic is pretty bad on Rt 6 and 6A at that time. There are fluke and flounder and a bunch of other edible smaller fish that are good fun for kids especially.  Take Rt. 6 all the way to exit 12 at Orleans then go 3/4 around the rotary and on your right there will be a sign for Rock Harbor. It is only a couple miles up that road from there. Hap Farrell (Stunmai II charters) uses light tackle which might be more suitable than some for the kids. I've been out with him a couple times and he knows those waters like the back of his hand

http://rockharborcharters.com/rock_harbor_charter_fishing_fleet.htm

Edited by Sk8man

Sure John give me a call if you have any questions about the area etc. I think you may already have my cell # but I'll send it in a PM anyway.

So I did some checking and we will be staying in Popponesset which is basically on the complete opposite side from Rock Harbor.  I am still looking at fishing on the bay side so it will hopefully be more suitable for the kids.

One of the great things about the Cape is that the distances between fun places is not real extreme and there are many good choices in the summer months with a lot to do for kids throughout the Cape. You will be staying on the inner Cape so you may want to schedule your charter for the afternoon session if you decide to go with Rock Harbor etc. at mid Cape so you don't have to get up so early with the kids to travel there:) There are other options (less expensive too) for just some basic bottom fishing on group boats located in at the harbors in Wellfleet and Provincetown (at the very end of the Cape). There s also whale watching at P town but again it is in the ocean and wave conditions can be a real factor to consider with kids (or when rough for anyone:lol:). By the way there is a kids museum in Mashpee near where you will be staying. https://www.capecodchildrensmuseum.org/

Edited by Sk8man

19 hours ago, rdebadts said:

I have a name of a charter if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Absolutely, will take all suggestions

2 hours ago, rdebadts said:

Black rose. Captain Rich fishes out of Plymouth and green harbor. That dude loves his job.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

How many times have you been out with him? What did you fish for? I would really like to get the kids as much action on the rods as possible and fill a cooler with some fine eating fish. Maybe throw in something bigger if the day/weather allows  for it. Thanks for the input.

Just an FYI - You'll have to go off Cape to go to Plymouth and you'll have to cross either the Bourne or Sagamore bridge to get there. If you go that route make sure you allow enough time to get there (traffic on the Cape is very congested at that time of the season) and avoid crossing at peak hours weekend or on cottage exchange day during that time of year as you could end up waiting hours to get across the bridges and I'm not exaggerating.

Edited by Sk8man

How many times have you been out with him? What did you fish for? I would really like to get the kids as much action on the rods as possible and fill a cooler with some fine eating fish. Maybe throw in something bigger if the day/weather allows  for it. Thanks for the input.

Couple times. He will go after whatever you want. I’ve only done ground fishing with him. Doing tuna this year though! The ground fish are plentiful, easy, and delicious. I get amped up about Fishing just talkin to the dude to book my trips. He clearly loves his job

The Fishin' Physician Assistant

Any other info anyone has on fishing in the bay or other charter recommendations is appreciated. I'm going to start making a few phone calls soon, to see what I'm getting into!

Claming, was one of the fun things that we would do as a family.  We stayed in Brewster which is on the bay side.  Go out in low tide and dig for Quahog clams.  We would either make clam chowder or have stuffed clams.  You will need a shellfish permit, clam rake, a bucket and a pair of old sneakers.  We bought 4 prong cultivator rakes before we left for the cape.  You maybe be able to rent a clam rake at one of the tackle shops?  If you hit something hard while raking it is most likely a clam.  Within a 10 ft circle you will find others.

I tried to setup a link but it did not work and the mesage sent.  If you want more info on claming, type in Your Guide to Cape Cod Clams.  It explains everything you need to know.

Amazon has the culitvator rakes for $10.

Ron