Downriggers & Dipseys

TAGMAN

Hey guys im trying my luck again this weekend,Hopfully i can do better than 2 fot 9 this time, Currently im fishing with two rigers and two dipseys, I here a lot about fishing with 2 pols of each riger, would i just add another relese, or i here some guys talking about sliders!!, How many rigs are you guys running, and can i use more than 2 dipseys without having a mess, Also are you guys running flashers with j plugs or just the j plug????.

TAGMAN

You can run 2 dispeys a side. Run one on a 1 setting and the other on a 3 setting. Let the dispey on a 3 (outside rod) out first. Then let the one on a 1 setting (inside rod) out really slow. I put the inside rod in the rod holder a little higher than the outside rod. Another trick I do is pin my dipseys. I use a small stainless screw, lock washer and nut. I drill holes for 1,2,3 settings and then other holes for 1/2, 1 1/2, 2 1/2, 3 1/2. I have had dipseys change settings and tangle. As for cheaters (sliders), I like running pinned cheaters so I know where they are and can duplicate the set up when the rod goes off.

We run two dipsys per side all the time, but we let them out the opposite of Gambler. I'm not saying his way is wrong, it's just different than the way we do it. I put my low (deep) diver out first and set it in the holder that puts the rod tip lowest to the water. We typically run the deep diver on a .5 or a 1 setting. Then I put my high (shallow) diver out and set it in the next holder towards the front of the boat and that holder is just a tad bit higher than the low diver. We run the high divers on either a 2.5 or a 3. We've settled on putting them in the water in this order so that the deepest diver goes in first then the high diver comes in on top of it. This has pretty much eliminated any tangles for us.

Here's a great shot that shows you how we set our divers in the holders:

DSC062872.jpg

I put mine out the same as Billy. Have had no problems at all doing it this way. As far as J's you may want to even just consider flat lining depending on the depth of water you are over. A good stick bait this time of year for river mouth fishing for kings are the Rebel Fast Tracs as well. So don't limit yourself to just the diver program. -Duane

You guys might want to try the Walker Deeper Diver. The weight on the bottom ratchets and it clicks into each setting. We really like em a lot and haven't had any problems with the weight changing settings like we used to with a Dipsy Diver. To top it off, the Deeper Divers are $2-3 less than the Dipsy Divers.

billyv- have only run 2 dipsys to a side a couple times.opposite of your way.doesn't having the deeper diver down low make it harder to get the rod out without hitting the high diver?pulling the front one out and up would seem more cumbersome.

I put mine out the same as Billy. Have had no problems at all doing it this way. As far as J's you may want to even just consider flat lining depending on the depth of water you are over. A good stick bait this time of year for river mouth fishing for kings are the Rebel Fast Tracs as well. So don't limit yourself to just the diver program. -Duane

Duane when you say flatline you mean out the back, no rigers or flashers right??? THANKS- TAGMAN

Never had that issue before keithg. I suppose that the amount of space that you have between the two diver rods would play a role in whether or not they get in each others way. But this way works for me and how we have our boat rigged. We just slide that low diver rod out and play the fish. It doesn't get in the way. I'd get confused if my deep diver was the high rod and vice-versa. I have enough trouble keeping it all together without having to remember that high=deep and low=shallow! LOL!!

Had a great time with you guys too Walt!!

Tag, when I say flat line I mean right off the sides of the boat with rods parallel to the water. We have taken plenty of targets thru the years using this method. One thing to remember kypes are developing and mouths are becoming tough. So I use a Diawa Heartland diver rod ( I have 2 set up with mono for high diver sets) for several reasons. One it has the backbone for proper hook set. Second at close to 10' -it provides a degree of clearance on the sides. As I mentioned, body baits such as Rebel Fast Tracs, J-13's, J plugs and Ping A Tees ( the P -a-T's must be trolled slow however) are some that come to mind, that have proven their worth over the years. Most of these river mouth kings now are hitting out of aggression. Thus the use of body baits with wide, errratic action. Fishing with the J's - no at this time of river mouth fishing I personally don't use a flasher when flat lining. Obviously, depending on depth of water you are targeting depends on fishing tactics being used. If over a 100' and targets are deep, that involves riggers, divers, copper etc, but if fishing and targets are up high, don't overlook the flat line and back aways. Can be and has been very productive.

Jim, pattern wise you referring to colors and such? If so, as far as J plugs try the 4's in glow green, and wonder bread at first light. ( One trick is to put a glow ladder on the belly on the plug itself) Silver bullet and bloody nose as the day progresses. Fast Trac's- yellow with orange, Ping A Tee's- glow, white at first light, pink, silver, and green later on the day. Rap. J-13, chartreuse, and orange have worked well for us. Just letting some in a tip regarding simply flat lining, couple weeks back during the LOC fishing out of the Oak, the temps were relatively high one day. Two times using an E-lure off an in board, we were bit off twice. I relayed this info to a friend who then put out a Mann's 20- Blue- white. He proceeded to take 3 matures in less than2 hours, off this rig simply flat lining off the side of his boat. Point being, at this time of year, one of the most productive methods that could be used and is often overlooked is that of flat lining. Beauty of this as well, is when river mouth trolling, and debris ( grass, weed and such) sometimes becomes a problem, simply keep an eye on rod tip for proper lure movement.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys I am from California and where the shuttle hawk came from. Gary Morales shasta tackle co. is a good friend of mine. The bad thing about them is your stacking two rods on one D/W. Then even if you set them a drifferent depths they are still in the same track. I have turned to your way of fishing with dipsy divers and steel line , planner boards and my d/r . I seem to catch more fish off the dipsy than my stacked d/r. rods on the shuttle hawk.