Thinking of getting a copper rod, Need advice.

dieselhp

We really like a 9'6" Daiwa Heartland Dipsy rod for our copper rods. For our purposes the longer rod allows us to put the rod in a high holder on our hardtop and we can get the line up off the water so that it won't slap when we let out less than the full copper length when we're running it on boards. Any shorter than 9'6" for us and we can't get the copper high enough up in the air. You might want to ask Yankee Troller what he uses though. He runs a shorter rod for his coppers and seems to really like them. I'm sure he'll chime in on this one.

I only use a shorter rod for my "chute" copper. Its a 7' Shimano TDR rod. I don't want the copper in the "air" behind the boat for fish fighting purposes. We don't reel it in when fighting fish, but we try to keep it to the opposite side of the boat. For the shorter length copper sections we Use the 9'6" Daiwa Heartlands. If I'm only running 1 copper down the chute its a 600 copper marked every 50', so I can adjust it on the fly.

I have expanded my copper rods to just about every length. So I don't have to worry about only sending out a partial copper off the board.

So, you want a copper rod? I am thinking that RJ and BV misread your post. You don't just want a rod, but a set-up. I tell all of my customers who want to get into copper fishing to get 1-600' set-up. Have it marked every 50'. This way you can select the right depth you want to fish rather than be limited to a 300 or a 400. With a 600' marked every 50' you can put a lure from 10' down to 130' down. That's versatility!

I picked up a Shimano Tekota 800 with 450' of copper. Since I fish the fall I won't be running 600'.

Just want to put it on a decent rod for the job.

I don't think I will run more then 400' just do to the boat traffic the time of year I fish.

Bought a custom made rod from Ernie, at the LOTSA seminar this past Feb. 7' one piece. It is a phenominal rod however but not cheap. This is on my 600' I have a 300' and 450' with the Ugly stick. Which I like just as well. I'm here to tell you, that when the 600' is fully loaded, you are looking at some serious combined weight - between rod,reel and line, let alone hooking into a target. If one fishes with either young ones or women, you may want to consider getting a fighting belt that wraps around the waist. Take it for what you feel it is worth, but personally at this time of year depending on how much longer you plan to fish, I'd hold off making the copper purchase until closer to spring. Unless you have some extra cash burning a hole in your pocket. Just my opinion however-Duane