Spring striper surf fishing on the Cape

Didn't want to hi jack the summer thread   , I  was told spring time can be really good for surf fishing for stripers on the Cape is it something I could do on my own or would it be pretty tuff to find them on my first trip, also fly fishing for them was mentioned which would really be fun if my casting would be enough to reach them  , has anyone been up in the spring .

Edited by chugbug

The outer Cape can be tough surf casting.(to many seals) I have had luck catching schoolies with the the tide in recent years though. Talk to a local tackle shop and if you spend some money they MAY point you in the right direction. Good luck, Matt

Most of my fishing has been during the Summer and Fall months on the Cape but the Cape Cod Canal may be a good bet during the Spring. Someone else here may know for sure. The timing of the tide is critical for them so get a tide chart wherever you decide to go or you could waste a lot of time. The previous comment about seals is real relevant too they are a real problem for much of the season in many places on the Cape..If you decide to go mid to outer Cape check with these folks about what is happening out there and where: 

Blackbeard's Bait & Tackle
  • Address: 3700 State Hwy, Eastham, MA 02642  (Route #6)
  • Phone: (508) 240-3369
Edited by Sk8man

Thanks for the info guys , sounds like it could be tuff the first time up especially fly fishing, I do know of a group that went up last year that did real good but they know the area well and have been doing it awhile sounds like I better get a hold of them and see if I can tag along !! I was thinking of taking the wife and doing some site seeing and fishing on my own but for the first trip I would probably be better off with someone thats been there before .

Edited by chugbug

Spring is a bit early for stripers on the cape. First come the bluefish and then later in spring the stripers show up. First off martha's Vinyard then the canal and later the bay. It starts with schoolies and as May turns into June ,the big cows show up and stay until september when they start their migration to the south again.

If you want to spring for a chartered trip check out Reel Deal charters. Been fishing with them around June first for a bunch of years now. Lots of surface action and the captains are first rate. For a real blast go tuna fishing with them in the fall. We caught our first giant last October. Unbelievable trip!

May is a great time for stripers in the canal. They are usually running the canal pretty heavy by the second week in May. They will be following the herring as they show up to spawn in our local streams. Every year is a little different as it is with all migratory species. Also the smaller fish show up first. Most people will toss jigs, spoons, or some form of hard bait and chunk herring or other bait fish. Tides play a big role in this areas fishing. check with the local bait and tackle and they will let you know which tide has been working best.

On the note of the fish following the herring, any tributary along the cape that has a herring run should hold a few fish off the mouth of the river or just inside. The problem is access to these locations.

Good luck

• Like 1

Chugbug,

I wish Lake Ontario was within three hours. I have to drive six hours to get there to fish and choose to go to the Niagara bar in May which is a nine hour drive.