New to the Salmon Game

Hello all-

Brand new here, actually this is my first post. We, my brother and I live in NE Ohio. We walleye fish on Lake Erie, so not new to fishing, just new to the salmon game. Going to come  over to Lake Ontario and need advice on tackle (reels, rods, line, etc.) to purchase. We plan on fishing down riggers, dipsy's and planer boards. Thinking an August trip or three. I know this is a loaded request as I'm sure there are many differing opinions and options.

Some of what we have been advised so far. Have to fish mono. Can't fish mono. Got to have copper. Don't use copper, wire is the ticket. Have to use 17 strand torpedo wire. Can't fish braid. Have to fish 45 or 55 size reels. 30 size is all that is needed. You see where this is going. So, give us a little guidance here if you will.

Thank you all in advance,

DD

• Like 1

Mono for riggers. I run blood run sea flea been good so far.
Copper works. But i fished a month and a half straght last summer and didnt need to put a copper or lead core in the water. In the spring i would definitely run them though i do have 3 colors to 300 coppers on the boat and ready to go.
I run four wire dipseys. Ran the 19 strand when it first came out lost a diver meat rig setup and wont put it on again. I do use the torpedo 7 strand and blood run and both preform well.
Reel size is up to you and how much backing you are comfortable with. I run 700 tekotas on my high wires and okuma catalina 25s on my lows and have never been spooled. Biggest improvement you can make on the reels is tuna tom drags. My crew likes the 25s better then the 700s.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

My advice would be to go to the first three posts on this topic list from Legacy. Rob has stated everything you need to know about reel sizes and spooling. Great info

Riggers- Okuma Classic Pro 8’6” rod, Size 30 reels filled with 30# mono, whatever flavor you like. I like Maxima.

Divers- Shimano TDR 8’6” and 10’6” if running two per side, size 30 reel fills perfectly with 1000’ torpedo 19 strand. Make sure you tape the wire to the reel or it will spin. I love the 19 strand, overhand knot to secure to swivel (see Fish Doctor website for knot directions) no crimps needed. You can use braid if you like as well, but the fleas really stick to it.

Copper- I would forget the copper for your first few times. Usually more of a hassle and a long fight with a lot of line out. If you must get copper, I would get a couple 300’s and add weight if you need to get deeper. 500 coppers really sucks to change out or bring in fish.

Leadcore- leadcore can be deadly for steelhead offshore that time of year. We have been seeing some nice size to the fish the last few years too. Can be used for salmon too depending on water temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Best advice I can give you is come down and take a charter out the first time. Lots of good charter captains around you will learn everthing you need in one day. It is money well spent and you will be on fish for sure.
The learning curve can be cut dramatically with a trip with a good captain.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I do plan on taking a trip or 2 to get a little more hands on, was hoping to pick up a few “cancellation” trips maybe a little discounted. I’ve fished walleye for years but now I’d be foolish to not take advantage of being so close to this fishery (15
minutes to launch) I made the trip out to brewerton today and picked up some stuff, bigger net, bunch of spin doctors and 20-30 different spoons, few flies. The more I read all the info on here the more I think a trip is best, so many different opinions and options, plus my rig is smaller than most, that will come into play sooner or later too

• Like 1

I do plan on taking a trip or 2 to get a little more hands on, was hoping to pick up a few “cancellation” trips maybe a little discounted. I’ve fished walleye for years but now I’d be foolish to not take advantage of being so close to this fishery (15
minutes to launch) I made the trip out to brewerton today and picked up some stuff, bigger net, bunch of spin doctors and 20-30 different spoons, few flies. The more I read all the info on here the more I think a trip is best, so many different opinions and options, plus my rig is smaller than most, that will come into play sooner or later too

The price of a charter will more than pay for itself in answering all your questions. Several of us at Oak Orchard (Wilson in May) offer "instructional charters" which will take years off your learning curve. Just FYI

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app