line for rigger rods

I think I might be asking the question: "Why do you want to run spinning rods on riggerrs?" They are much more clumsy to use in that application regardless of line selected.

A few preliminary considerations: Where do you intend to fish and for what? for starters. Hopefully you will be able to manage rigging and the initial handling of the rods with fish because spinning rods  with riggers are very ddifferent than just casting lures from shore and kids etc. will probably be at a loss to effectively manage them on riggers setting up or making adjustments etc. If it were me I'd be talking them out of the spinning rod idea.... standard trolling reels and rods are much simpler in that application and especially for inexperienced handlers. Just my opinion...also if Lake Ontario and kings are involved the line capacity of most spinning reels will be a huge factor and getting spooled may not be a big confidence builder for kids.

You will never get a spinning rig to operate as easy as a level wind just because of the way the two different ways the line deploys off the spools, you certainly can’t open the bail or let the drag off just enough to set the riggers?? There’s a reason everyone runs level winds off riggers, off planers I could see it working, but if your not using color coded line how are you going to know how many feet of line you have out??

Think of the situation as much like a person trying to use a pair of channel locks to remove a nut from a bolt rather than the right sized wrench. It might be able to be done but not easily or as effectively. Something to be said for using the right tool for the job.

Edited by Sk8man

3 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

Think of the situation as much like a person trying to use a pair of channel locks to remove a nut from a bolt rather than the right sized wrench. It might be able to be done but not easily or as effectively. Something to be said for using the right tool for the job.

:yes: :yes: :yes:

I don’t recommend spinning by any means, but if you are going that way, the Okuma avenger with bait feeder feature would be better. You put the bait feeder on when letting down your rigger and it won’t free spool. I have one and tried one day just for fun and it didn’t cause problems. Like my levelwinds better, but below is a link to types of reels I’m talking about.

Line is your choice. I like braid and mono. Pretty much braid on everything now because it lasts longer.

https://www.fishusa.com/product/Okuma-Avenger-ABF-B-Series-Baitfeeder-Spinning-Reels

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I don't think the drag on spinning gear would fare very well over a season Lake Ontario abuse, much less the rest of the reel.  Fall salmon fishing used to leave me with bad drags and bails/spools that got wobbly and constantly needed repair or tightening of screws and nuts.  The 90 degree angle the line goes out on spinning gear puts a terrible pressure on the spinning gear and just wears everything down really quick with each and every big fish. Whereas a level wind the line goes out straight and create less stress on the reel housing and drag system.  You don't have to cast when trolling so level wind is really the best reel for you to use out there.

On my Chautauqua trips I get kids, woman and some men with limited fishing experience.  These trips are primarily for walleye and I use light spinning gear.  I use “rod in hand” tactics so they can feel the bite.  I jig, use blade baits and slow troll worm harness.  I use quite a few artificial baits but always have worms on board so kids can get action.  For walleye and bass on inland water IMO I’d use other tactics than downrigging especially for folks with limited experience.  There is nothing like seeing a kid land their first walleye.

I usually take them with me when I troll,I run 3 inlines on either side of the boat.We have struggled with fish on the boards.They would like to use their own rods,and I thought riggers would be the easiest way to get them hooked up on their own. 

Maybe using smaller level winds and short rods would help a younger person with a rigger rod?  Spinning reels are prone to line twist when downrigging among other issue’s.  IMO big boards with releases are easier for less experienced people to deal with and land fish vs in lines.  I find for young kids that more hands on options are best-my four year old grandson is going to visit me from Washington in August and I’ll have him on a weed line with worms.  Trolling trip we’ll wait.

To get used to levelwind reels, you could add a couple smaller left handed size 20 (Okuma) or 27 in other brands for your rigger set-ups. I think switching from left hand spinning to RH levelwind is the biggest hang-up for most people.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

A $289.00 reel in jr’s hands, I must be doing something wrong, I only have 15 or 20 setup, I’d need a home equity lone to put $300.00 reel on all, a mere 6 grand in reels??

JUst a suggestton - a relatively inexpensive way might be to just get a couple of used downrigger rods with level wind reels here on LOU and use them just for the riggers and use the spinning reels for the other stuff and rig them with the line of your choice since Lake O and kings aren't a factor

Edited by Sk8man

Two upcoming fishing “flea markets”. This Saturday in Brewerton NY. And the 25th in Watkins Glen. You can buy a boat load of level winds for a very good price. I will be at both shows to feed my addiction.                               If a dozen spoons are good, then 1000 are better !!!!!!!!!!

Two upcoming fishing “flea markets”. This Saturday in Brewerton NY. And the 25th in Watkins Glen. You can buy a boat load of level winds for a very good price. I will be at both shows to feed my addiction.                               If a dozen spoons are good, then 1000 are better !!!!!!!!!!

X2.

I will have a table at brewerton and will have 200+ spoons for sale, 8+ line counters plus a ton more - all priced to move

‘Bout Time
Mike

The above mentioned baitfeeder style saltwater spinning reels actually work quite well for downrigger applications. There are cheaper from both Shimano and okuma as well as other brands I would assume. They have a secondary drag system that allows for constant tension on the descent and adequate spool sizes and drag capabilities needed to serve as downrigger reels if that is indeed what your are looking for. I only mentioned the thunnus as it is the only real l reel I have personal experience with.

I've used my stradics a lot on the riggers and if you don't mind the pia of deployment they work very well.  Not too mention  20 lb tigers were a bit much and had to chase a carp for 20 minutes once solo and haven't done it much since, though I put customers spin  rods down occasionally.I just decided not to put the wear on $250 reels.  

Edited by justtracytrolling
Accidentally sent my post before it was done