New Guy

I am brand new to this site and have never fished for salmon.  I have fished walleye on lake Erie for years and have wanted to come up to lake Ontario but just haven't made the time.  I'm not getting any younger so this year is it.  Planning on coming up and going out of Wilson harbor this spring.  I know everyone has there own preferences on bait types.  Spoons, flies, meat rigs...  My question is this, what baits do you just not leave the dock without?  I'm trying to stock up on my salmon supplies and am starting from scratch.  Ideas on spoon manufacturer and color, flasher colors and such could save me from spending money on things I don't need.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

Double crush spin doctor and hammer, crinkle green or stud / glow stud flies. (all made by a-tom-mik) Depending on conditions switch spin doc to silver...The gator spin doc was great for me last summer.  I have spring fever BAD....

Edited by cabezon99

On 3/17/2018 at 8:58 PM, cabezon99 said:

Double crush spin doctor and hammer, crinkle green or stud / glow stud flies. (all made by a-tom-mik) Depending on conditions switch spin doc to silver...The gator spin doc was great for me last summer.  I have spring fever BAD....

Thanks.  I bought a few spin doctor's and atomic flies.  Not sure if I have those color combinations but will check their website.  Info appreciated!!

On 3/22/2018 at 7:41 AM, Traveling Circus said:

If you're coming to Wilson in the spring, you'll probably be fishing prior to flea season. And Wilson is a great port to fish out of in May.... or any month for that matter.

http://www.seagrant.umn.edu/ais/waterflea

There's lots of stuff out there on fleas......

I am planning on fishing out of Wilson.  Thank you for the info on fleas.

I am also new but can pass on the few things I've learned. First off, "investing" in gear is a necessity. This ain't a hook and bobber game. There's lots of solid colours baits but the hot color / setup can change and running yesterday's hot stuff doesn't always work today. Don't buy 10 of the same thing at first, switch up colors. Get a variety of everything from spoons to rod /reel combos. Riggers, wire dipsys and leads ( I think ) are a great starting point and fairly easy to manage. Consider early season on going with a charter. They can teach you fast. They have the experience and show you the program. I opted to learn from a 15 year lakeO weekend warrior and countless members here, but considering the charter trip this year. Fleas... The slimy wads that end up all over your stuff.... You will quickly find out what they are mid season. A huge tip on removal is to bend a loop in your line and "pinch" them off. If you try to pull off like seaweed you will be there for awhile. I also recommend a quick Google image search to see what those nasty buggers look like up close ! Other than that, keep a good attitude and always be willing to learn. Tons of info on here, tons of awesome members willing to help. Your in the right place! Watch the classifieds for gear your after or just ask. I have saved a ton by buying used. And good luck, one rookie to another.

Sent from my XT1650 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NymphO said:

I am also new but can pass on the few things I've learned. First off, "investing" in gear is a necessity. This ain't a hook and bobber game. There's lots of solid colours baits but the hot color / setup can change and running yesterday's hot stuff doesn't always work today. Don't buy 10 of the same thing at first, switch up colors. Get a variety of everything from spoons to rod /reel combos. Riggers, wire dipsys and leads ( I think ) are a great starting point and fairly easy to manage. Consider early season on going with a charter. They can teach you fast. They have the experience and show you the program. I opted to learn from a 15 year lakeO weekend warrior and countless members here, but considering the charter trip this year. Fleas... The slimy wads that end up all over your stuff.... You will quickly find out what they are mid season. A huge tip on removal is to bend a loop in your line and "pinch" them off. If you try to pull off like seaweed you will be there for awhile. I also recommend a quick Google image search to see what those nasty buggers look like up close ! Other than that, keep a good attitude and always be willing to learn. Tons of info on here, tons of awesome members willing to help. Your in the right place! Watch the classifieds for gear your after or just ask. I have saved a ton by buying used. And good luck, one rookie to another.

Sent from my XT1650 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks, not looking forward to my first encounter with fleas.  Lol.

Make friends. Meet people at the dock. Spill the beans and hope your new friend will too on the days report. Help people out, gain people’s trust. Ask questions not just about color but other details. Water depth, rigger depths, speed at the ball, leader length, etc. As for fleas I love the blood run Sea Flee. If you’re ever in Sodus look me up!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United