Finger Lakes Community College, Walleye Culture Facility, Muller Field Station, Honeoye Lake

cdq

53 minutes ago, cdq said:

It is, Honeoye was the exception they made it 15 inches on that body of water, why that is I’m not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

My guess is $$. They wanted people to come fish the lake, dropping the size limit to 15" from 18" would attract more fisherman. NY has a pretty good record of making bonehead decisions when it comes to DEC regulations.

Because a couple decades ago you had to catch 15 eyes to get one over 18. The lake was loaded with smaller fish. At the time, I welcomed the 15. It meant I got to actually keep a couple from time to time. 

When does that 18 inch limit take effect? I heard DEC made a printing mistake that’s the only reason it’s 15 inches. C’mon really? These walleye deserve better than that. Let’s hope there are still lots of sportsman out there that’ll make the right decision. Let them GROW PLEASE!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

3 hours ago, Kevin J Legg said:

Great to see walleyes are being raised. I'm hopefully going to soon help collect eggs from the Ogdensburg area for some SLR stocking.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

:yes: :yes: :yes: great to hear Kevin. Wish I lived closer I’d love to be involved in things as such

Edited by pap

Sorry for the lack of updates as I haven’t been down to the facility much.

It’s safe to say our walleye run is done our last sample day yielded only one male walleye.

Our eggs have been under development for about a week now, so far so good. However we are experiencing some saprolegnia fungus in our egg jars. We have been doing our best to keeping it out.

Reminder, our open house is THIS Saturday. Come see what we are all about, and learn something’s about Walleye Culture, and see a full Electrofishing demonstration. Again THIS Saturday April 21st at 9:00am Electrofishing demonstration starts.Image1524012101.564058.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, C hammond said:

If you don't stop that fungus now you'll be in trouble. Especially once that water temp starts to warm up.

This in spades! I have seen entire incubators that were solid fungus. Not much survival in that kind of situation. Hate to see a lot of work go to nothing. Been there done that.

If you don't stop that fungus now you'll be in trouble. Especially once that water temp starts to warm up.

Eggs are treated with formalin, this fungus however has a ideal water temp range from 33-91 degrees however it survives much better in colder water

Is there any natural reproduction in Honeoye?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

0 natural reproduction, that is the point of the culture facility is to first provide an educational opportunity for me and my classmates, and also to bridge a critical gap between poor spawning habitat and allowing eggs to survive in the culture facility

Thanks, my daughter and I went to see the hatchery open house today. We saw the 3 cylinders of eggs. We got there late just as things were winding down. Very nice! Hope they hatch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I was down there today, left at 1:30

• 2 weeks later...

We had a very successful hatch of eggs this last week on Tuesday! All fry were released back into the Honeoye inlet channel the next day, and Thursday we shut down the culture facility! Video will be made soon showing the whole process from broodstock collection to spawning and taking care of the eggs!IMG_2695.JPG

Awesome to all those that participated!! Congrats and hope this inspires more of the younger generation to follow!!!

Congratulations cdq on the successful egg hatch and to all of the students who participated in this class!!

Hopefully this class can become an annual event that builds on the learning from this year and supplements future walleye stocking.

I wonder what the fry survival rate will be for those you released?