Newbie - First post, fist time with downriggers...

Hello all,

I just finished fixing an '88 Sylvan 16' center console deep V with a 48hp outboard. It came with two unattached Cannon downriggers with wire and clips.

I got 2 rods and counter reels with 30lb test, some spoons, flies, flashers, weights and releases. I've got a wide angle finder on the back next to the downriggers and GPS/Sonar next to the wheel. I'm hoping to use the wide angle finder to check the depth of the weights/bait.

What I don't have is a clue. I've read a lot on the boards and net and have a basic idea what to do when I find marks (put the bait at that depth and troll slowly 2-4mph).

I live in Ransomville and I'll put in at Fort Niagara, any suggestions to where a good place to start is?

Any hints for a newbie on where to mount the downriggers on the boat?

Whatever help you can send this way would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Dave

Dave,

Mount one of those downriggers in each corner of the transom. I don't fish down that way so I really can't tell you specifically where to start, but at this time of year if you see boats in a pack there's a pretty good bet that they're on some fish. Keep that trolling speed somewhere around 2.0-3.0 mph (I assume you don't have a speed & temp probe and will be relying on SOG from your GPS) and you should be OK.

Thanks Bill,

The boat has a speedometer on it with a lever arrangement on the transom. I'll eventually get a sub-surface probe for better setups, but you go fishing with the rig you got, not the rig you want...

What is the downside to mounting the downriggers a foot or so from the transom on the top of the rails? It'd be quite a stretch to get to them if they're on the transom...Is there an advantage to a transom mount vs. side mount I'm just oblivious to?

Thanks,

Dave

An evening at the boat ramp will give you plenty of mounting ides too. as boats come in check them out and see what works for yours. You can mount riggers forward but be careful not ot go too far forward where the wire will foul the props on a turn. I think it was 1/4 the length or something like that as a max distance forward.

good luck you have a lot of knowledge to gain. Your in the right place to get it too.

Spike

Billy,

Thanks for the pic. Nice fish btw. I just got my downriggers mounted at 11PM last night. They are about 1 1/2 foot from the aft corners on the top rail. There was already 2 rod mounts a foot in front of that location so I should be able to run 2 rods on each downrigger or 2 downriggers and 2 dipsys.

Thanks for the help,

Dave