I’m new to this game

New to Salmon, recently moved near Olcott/Wilson from CNY

So here’s my set-up and plan. Your thoughts on what to change or not to change would be great. First off I run a small 17’ bluefin with a 90 and a 9.9 kicker, I know 17’ I have to pick and choose my days. I have 2 coldwater 303’s spooled with 50# powerpro and 20# big game backer, was going to put them on rigger rods (2-cannon uni-trolls) I got a good deal ($35) on a Magda 45 spooled with 300 copper I was going to run down the shoot (off port side as there’s a gimble rod holder installed already) then pick up a couple reels @ Brewerton show tomorrow to use on dipsys rods, that’s 5 lines. Not sure I feel comfortable with much more on a 17’ tinny. I have a dozen or so flashers/dodgers/spin doctors I’ve picked up here and there, probably 40-50 spoons some new some used, plan on getting some A-Tom-Mik “6 packs” he sells probably in glow and UV to start that collection, NO fish hawk this year but maybe if I win on a scratch off or something but will get one once I’m more confident in my game

So am I pointed in the right direction? Tons of valuable info on here if you take the time to read thru it, that’s pretty much how I’ve got this far ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

General consensus seemed to be to put the entire 1000' spool on.   Even after putting on the 1000' I ended up taking it back off  to add backing in order to get enough on the spools so I could calibrate the linecounter reels, which is very important.  I may just take it back off and use 500'  with enough backing to calibrate.  My thinking, right or wrong is this might help to prevent tangles from the wire wrapping over itself.  Less wire less chance of tangles....Even though it is entirely possible, how many time are you even going to get to the backing.  I also like the idea on the Blood Run website about adding 40 or 50' of fluro at the end of the wire so you can break the rods down.  If you take any tension off of the wire that is where you run into problems. Blood Run has a bunch of good tips if you havent been on their site.  I'm using their copper and steel.

Just suggestions but if you intend to fish on Lake O (and possibility of kings) it might be better to use the 1,000 ft of wire and use a fairly heavy pound test ((e.g. 40) section of mono underneath it for backer if needed to fill the reel for a couple reasons: a) any connection point can be a potential failure point e.g. between the backing and wire, and b) the braid under pressure of the wire on top of it is more likely to nest itself and be prone to messes than the wire itself. When you initially put the wire on the reel have the level wind centered on the reel and keep careful  pressure on the wire as it is coming on the reel and it should stay even as long as it is always kept under some tension. Instead of the section of mono (e.g. an extra connection point) I merely use a real small bungi cord hooked from the closed swivel at the end of the wire to either the first (large) eyelet of the rod or even on the cross brace of the reel itself for my one piece rods and for two piece I use velcro computer cable ties for the sections placed together and snugged up.

Edited by Sk8man

I use 2 laps of mono, 1000 feet of steel then 12-20 feet of 30Lb mono. It makes it easer to break down your poles for storage. Also makes deployment easer.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Your definitely going to want all 1000’. If you have 300’ out and nice king rips it, you could easily be stretched out to 700’ in no time. Spool it on one reel, add your backer to fill then fill other reel from that one. Makes sure you remember how much backer you needed and start the next reel off with that amount and 1000’ of wire should fill it.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1