Newbie question - also posted in fishing report incorrectly

Hello all,

I just finished fixing an '88 Sylvan 16' center console deep V with a 48hp outboard. It came with two unattached Cannon downriggers with wire and clips.

I got 2 rods and counter reels with 30lb test, some spoons, flies, flashers, weights and releases. I've got a wide angle finder on the back next to the downriggers and GPS/Sonar next to the wheel. I'm hoping to use the wide angle finder to check the depth of the weights/bait.

What I don't have is a clue. I've read a lot on the boards and net and have a basic idea what to do when I find marks (put the bait at that depth and troll slowly 2-4mph).

I live in Ransomville and I'll put in at Fort Niagara, any suggestions to where a good place to start is?

Any hints for a newbie on where to mount the downriggers on the boat?

Whatever help you can send this way would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Dave

Nice little boat .I have pretty much the same one but its a 88 starcraft with the 48E .

Home made rigger stands on the back corners. I'll post a pick if I can find one.

Sounds like you have what you need to start. If its salmon and trout your after I prefer the Olcott lanch, ramps are nicer and theres a fish cleaning station on the spot if you get lucky and I pesonally like the fishing better there.

Plus their are alot more salmon hunters in Olcott to chat with for help.

Check out the local club seems like a great group of guys and you can't beat it for 10 bucks.

http://www.lotsa.org/

Far enough away as to not piss them off LOL . This time of year you want to try to keep your distace when you in close . Alot of guys run copper and lead core witch can go back along way, when they get shallow there will be planer boards out also . If you get too close and start snagging another boats junk,they get pissed you get tangles and if it gets in your motor your F---ed . Haven't had it happen but have herd enough stories here to watch what I'm doing

COMBAT FISHING !!!!!!!!!! :shock: :x