First trip to the big pond

I stay here at Cayuga from May till Oct. every year and know this lake very well. One of my weekend neighbors.....Gary....goes up to Sandy Pondwith his 19 ft. Lund boat with manual Cannons and limits out every time with kings. Last week was last straw when he came back with 6 fish that weighed 200 #. I have 24.5 trophy with 4 Walkers and am planning a trip early thursday to Sandy Pond. I hear horror stories about wind and waves on Lake Ontario but Gary tells me out of Sandy Pond you never out of sight of land. Maybe one of you who fish this area can help me out........like where is launch......tackle shop in area........lures to use.......depth to fish......or is it to late and salmon have already gone to the river. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Lucky Enuff.........but I have a feeling that Gary.........unlike you and me might stretch the truth when it comes to fishing. I really would like for you or someone else with knowledge of this area to honestly share with me some of the things I asked about. Thanks

Can't help you out much with that specific area as far as tackle shops and launches as I fish out of the Little Salmon river in Mexico Bay. I can tell you that there are plenty of fish in the lake and 60-80 fow has been good. As far as what to use, read the many reports that have been posted the last couple weeks and that will give you a good idea. I do fish that area from time to time, it's about an 8 mile run, and all you have to do is look for the pack of boats between the North and South dunes. That will put you on fish. Make sure you get information about the channel from Sandy Pond to the lake before heading out. I have never been through it and with the high water this year you might not have anything to worry about but ASK before you head out. As far as Gary goes I would tend to agree with your assement.

Good fishing

Glen