Turkey 2018

Those are some nice birds great jobs guys opening day for me and the wife was a bust do to some hunters showing up late to the party after we were working a couple nice toms . So went back solo next morning and called in 4 hens and two nice toms dropped this 20 lb bird with a 8 inch beard and 1 inch spurs about 1 hour after first light . Heading to Arizona for a couple days to see my daughter then back at it hopefully the 2nd bird will come quick as i have a knee surgery on the 14th . Thats a bummer hopefully it does not slow me down for long lots of fish waiting to be caught .

Turkey1.jpg

Turkey2.jpeg

My buddy came upon an adult Tom (8-9”) beard with its head completely chewed off and the body still warm! It was partially covered with leaves and pine needles! What do you think got it? I’m guessing bobcat!

• Like 1

Nice birds everybody.  I got a 23lber with a 9" beard on a spot and stalk this morning.  He was strutting around with 3 hens in a field and I went way around and used a little ridge in the field that was just tall enough to block me from their view to get within 30 yards.  Once I got to where I thought they'd be 3 heads popped up and started puttin.  I had to stand up real fast and take my shot as the birds were starting to leave but it worked out.  Only the 2nd time I've managed to stalk and kill a tom in a field using terrain to my advantage.  

2018 Turkey.jpg

That's a great looking bird, Bob! I don't hunt them myself, but I'm going to film a buddy of mine tomorrow morning.

Edited by Gator

Saturday morning felt like it was gonna be one of those great mornings. Clear skies and chilly. Nothing spoke off the roost, walked my usual mile loop without a peep. Almost back to the end of the loop and got a response. I got as close as I dared and set up. He came in gobbling, drumming, and strutting. SMoked him at 23 yards, he didn’t even flop. He had about 1” spurs, a 9 1/2” beard and was heavy! Estimated at 22 pounds. 

C51FC911-CDFF-432D-AA62-68189FAC21A6.jpeg

AD4DE85A-176B-4010-A239-0B0D9C9F5E5E.jpeg

IMG_1222.JPGIMG_1216.HEIC
Well we had to work for it today called this nice bird in for my buddy this morning. 9-5/8” beard and 7/8 spurs. It was the. Third bird we called in today in the same piece of woods. Just couldn’t seal the deal on the first two! Was well worth the way con a great hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Spent a couple of days in the Adirondacks with longspurs at his camp.  Was a very tough 4 days for us but we managed to get 1 big bird and a shot at another.  That was basically it even after putting almost 900 miles on my truck in those days.  We scouted out all the spots we know up there plus a few more.  The birds just weren't there this year and not surprised after the winter they had.  There was still snow on the sides of the roads and in the woods when we got up there wednesday night.  One of the lakes was still 99 percent iced over also.   

turkey 2018.jpg

Congrats to everyone who put tags on birds through the first Leg! I was finally able to get back out Saturday morning and had one going right off the bat. Never was able to get on him first thing but stuck close to him and finally put my eyes on him at 7 o'clock. He was huge to say the least, but had to hens with him and was not able to pull him off them. Sunday I went back to the same location and had gobbling on the roost again. Only difference was, I had to cover a lot more ground to get close. Once I set up roughly 100 yards from the gobbling I gave a few yelps and he answered instantly. Short while later I heard him fly down and he continued to gobble like crazy and before I knew it he was 25 yards all alone and love sick. Nice LB right in my lap and for some reason I decided to let him walk!??[emoji848] Not sure why but I just did....... back at this weekend and can't wait!

Thanks Matt, the first week we couldn’t pull the Toms off the hens.
Past couple days they have been coming in hot and angry. To those looking to fill tags, good time to get out.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I am very glad to see that others are having such great success this year. I have been out 3 times and I think that I am struggling to get birds into view mostly due to over calling and further more (sounding like a hunter rather than a turkey). Question for you since some if not a majority of the birds are now starting to nest, are you finding the silent call more effective?

Thanks for the response. I think that between the over-calling and having some really weird land formations (dips and swales that are really deep between me and the bird) doesn't help either. I am going to try a slightly different tactic of trying to get closer to the hollow that he is in via some better locator calls, sit, get him all fired up and then call once or twice every 45 minutes or so just to be sure he is still there. Most of those calls will just be clucks since I think that a really strong yelp is going to be worse off. I think that I am getting him all jazzed up but I'm really not sure of his location other than in the hollow and then the calling too much is making it sound really fake, and of course he could be on a hen too...  

Thanks for the tip