11” flasher to roll or not to roll

I believe what you are referring to is the bait behind the flasher not the flasher itself. The bait should turn over or "roll" slowly behind the flasher rather than just slipping through the water behind it. There are a number of ways to achieve this but basically a curve in the body of the bait needs to be there for it to happen and often adjustments may be needed in boat speed to get it right. It helps to observe it closely at the side of the boat before fully deploying it. With experience you develop a "feel" for the right action

Edited by Sk8man

I guess I was answering it in a general sense as the more critical factor may be the appearance of the bait itself as it needs to revolve at a certain cycle behind the attractor and the term "flashers" can refer to dodgers and cowbells as well - each of which has different action in front of the bait.

Edited by Sk8man

Now the 11” paddle that has no fin to kick it over should have to go around 2.3 - 2.4 before it spins. Is that Correct?  And I have seen some people say to run it like a dodger where it slides  side to side. I have never used these I got some in an old box. 

As for the bait holder I use the Hot Spot Rollerbaiter. You don't have to worry about getting the right roll as they're equipped with a rudder. For the normal herring strip use the number 3. As for the flasher I've run them from 2.0 to 3.2 and never had a problem. One thing about the Hot Spot is once in a while they will change direction of rotation. Everyone on here knows a change of direction or speed will trigger a strike. Take a look on "You Tube" for Hot Spot Flasher and you will see the video that Dave Murphy from Murphy Sportfishing in BC put on. It's a great video & the only thing he had to do was remove the hook to stop the fish from getting hooked up.