Scotty VS Cannon

Looking to upgrade my Riviera manual down riggers this winter. I know " They are ONLY 30 years old" but I thought it was about time! Other than age, they stick out into the boat too far so you almost have to walk around them when going to the back of the boat. I am leaning towards the Scotty's because of their mounting method. I see a loto of people have Cannons. Any opinions? LOADED QUESTION.......

You will not be sorry for buying Scottys, The new Cannon High speeds are worth a look and are a very nice downrigger but I still highly reccomend the Scottys.

They are powerful and fast, and less things to go wrong with them.

Seems this question comes up quite often. Asking like who goes with Chevy and Ford? Having said that, both are very reliable riggers, as are Big Jons', Vectors, Walkers, etc. I have used almost all thru the years, whether it be on my boat or others'. However, if you have the funds, look into the Cannon Digi-Trol's. I've run them now for 5 years and I believe Running Rebel uses them as well. These are top notch, with various features not available on other models. Well worth the look. But really if you choose either the Scotty's or Cannon's, I think you will be happy.

Only 30 yrs old? Those Rivieras have at least 5 more good years left in them. :) My engine probably won't support electrics so when I retired my Riverias, I went to cannon uni's. Make sure to get swivel bases. They save a lot of hassel with releases.

Tom B.

(LongLine)