Do you know this fish?

dieselhp

Actually Atlantic Salmon smolts in rivers look very much like a trout. They are not silver and do not have the X spots till in the ocean or the big water. Even returning AS after being in the river for a few days loose their silver and x marks and go back to spots. They also have a lot of spots on the gill plates. I wish I could see the tail on that one.

IMG_0163.jpg

P9190010.jpg

P9150002-1.jpg

RR

Sorry it doesn't look at all like a brown to me. I've caught plenty of browns that size in that river and they don't look like that. where I fish for atlantic salmon, they have signs posted telling fishermen to be careful with smolts and par as they look like trout. I can't get a positive ID with out the tail showing. So I'm going with AS especially with the large eye. Smolts have large eyes.

RR

My vote is an atlantic. I caught a few stocker browns that size in Olcott, after they released them right before the pro-am, and released them of course. The small browns already had the circles around their spots, and were about the same size as that fish. -Mick

I vote atlantic........based solely on the picture.

salmon_v_brown_trout.gif

Here's two similiar size fish, they easily could be mistaken for one another.

They're both silver and both have black spots.

If the picture included the rest of the fish it would be easier to tell them apart.

Based on the graphic above, you'll be able to figure out which is which.

1-19-08018.jpg