QUESTION ON ELECTRIC trolling motors

Dr W

There is a twin ELECTRIC that mounts on the  IO or cavitation plate of outboard with 160 pounds of thrust does anyone have any experience with this good or bad battery useage and power I have a bayliner 2452 and could put up to 4 battery  on board 

Edited by Dr W

I have a bayliner 2452 hard top. I use 2 - 28” Amish trolling bags, they work great. There are 2 of them 4 sale on here cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Fishnut The other reason is that the electric would be silent where the 5.0 makes some noise .

I have both trolling bags and a trolling plate and can slow.

Waverammer There is no good way to mount and run a kicker on this hull unless it were electric start and had full controls.

The freeboard is very high and it would be tricky

I agree it’s very high. But my plan for next year is to have a 15hp 4 stroke mounted on the back with full controls up front. For piece of mind if nothing else.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I looked into it and the idea is very attractive. I asked people on "The Hull Truth" website about it and the answer from most of them is that it is nice for walleye in quiet water but these motors are not made for trolling for 5 or 6 hours and then be able to use that motor to bring you back to shore in case of a main engine failure.

X2... I use a 36v 112 on a 21' pontoon set up as a charter boat and it trolls 2+ 4-5 hrs on flat water  but it doesn't take much wind and it isn't very effective by itself with 4 customers and a dozen lines  I use it primarily in concert with my outboard when trolling as an auto pilot and remote steering not propulsion.  For smaller water and multispecies electric is great and might work ok for you, but for big water trolling a kicker is what I'd want.