How to start looking for Salmon

This is another beginner question but...

How do you start looking for fish?

After you put in and head out what's a good method?

Look at the finder until you see bait fish and marks, head for lower temps from the online temp charts, take a wild guess and go?

Any help would be great, I'm going out for the first time Sunday.

Thanks,

Dave

Best way for a beginer is to head out and and join the pack. The pack is usually, though not always, close to fish. Stay on the periphery and try a bit shallower and a bit deeper.

My process is a bit different. I call several charter friends the day before and discuss where the fish have been for the week. I look at temperature and wind trends along with recent rain then I make a decision on where I'll start my search.

At this time of year, I pick the water I want and cruise out till I'm about 20 feet shallower of my target. I reduce speed so I can see fish clearly and I start heading deeper looking for marks. I drop the bag and start setting lines after I see 2 or 3 arches or bait. I make my first troll run towards deeper water past my target to check the picture. After all this, I have enough information to select a final target depth. I'll stay within 20 feet of the target depth in slow but large zig zags. I try to avoid the temptation to chase the radio calls. I find this method puts me on fish and usually away from the pack.

A final method which everyone uses at some point is to shadow a charter boat. I don't say this to create more traffic and congestion for the charters because you and everyone eventually figures it out. What many don't figure out is that the charters can get really boxed in by folks shadowing them. Give them some room so they can turn and do their thing. Don't travel beside them because they need to have room to turn. Best way is to stay WELL behnd them. You can stay 1/4 mile back and get plenty of knowledge on their depth and speed without becoming a nuisance or a hazard. Respect them and they will respect you.

Thanks for the info Dapper Dan. I was going to ask about what the etiquette was for fishing around others. You've given me some solid information to start from.

I'm hoping on the first time out just getting a feel for the equipment and setting depths on the 2 downriggers and the 2 dipsy divers I have.

Hopefully I'll see some fish.

Thanks again,

Dave

Dave:

I thought about my response and it might have been a bit deficient. My response was geared for the staging period we are in now. Not to be confused with early and mid summer. Since you are heading out this weekend, I assumed you wanted info for that. I don't motor out to 575 fow in the summer and then zigzag within 20 feet of the target depth 8)

Also, not everyone has a relationship with a charter captain or 2 and can't call them up for the latest info. Use the forums for that instead. I try to post info as do a handful of others. I don't do it to brag but to provide info for the guys that don't get to the Lake often. I call my charter friends and get info about current locations, depths and presentations. I then filter it through the forums after I've used it. I don't post data in advance such as "hey, my charter friends say to target xx fow this coming weekend". To do so would terminate my relationship and the flow of information. Instead, I put the data to use, mixed with my own experiences and decisions, and report the success or failure thereof.

Brian:

600 feet of Cu during staging? You must like steamed zebra mussels. Last time I checked, 1/4 mile was 1320 feet. Must be some reel to hold that much copper :lol:

Dapper Dan,

Thanks for the clarification. I've been gleaning as much as I can from the boards, they are a wealth of information. I'm impressed by the sportsmanship/camaraderie of the trollers on this forum. I'm glad that there are people who are willing to share with new blood.

As with any outdoor game, much of the fun is learning and being out-doors.

Thanks again,

Dave

I'm a newbie to trolling as well Dave, and Dan hit it on the head. This board and others will put you in the neighborhood.

One thing I'll add is that I'll usually spot the pack, do a huge loop around them as quickly as I can to get a decent idea for fow they're targeting, then move down the lake a mile or so and set up.

I don't have the luxury (yet) of a probe to accurately know whats going on below the surface (speed/temp) or the experience for that matter, but keeping an eye for bait and fish on the screen, then targeting 5-10 ft. above has been my plan with acceptable results. Zig zagging n-s heading west @ 2.5mph seems to work better too for what I can only guess has to do with current.

Good luck!