Adding weight to lead core?

There are better ways to get to 70 feet. The problem with your plan is when a fish hits, (you know the big one you absolutely do not want to lose) you need to keep tension on the fish and with that snap weight its going to be very hard not to get a sag in the line, and that means slack in the line to the fish. Once you give him a second of slack off he goes..... You may do a drop weight that comes off or a sliding weight on a shorter core (like a torpedo) but you better be really good at handling the pole. 

It's just easier to go to a dipsy diver and eliminate all the potential failure points of a lead line with a contraption.  

i tried to add weights,and it sort of works

I have added weights to leadcore and added it on on the end close to the rod. thinking that it would not disturb the unique character of leadcore. But you will have to let the backing farther out in order to allow your extra weight to go down the required 20 to 30 feet. It works but having to take off the weight every time often requires a second person. In my opinion it is easier to put a hundred feet or so of 19 strand stainless steel wire between the core and the backing. It has the same sinking quality as leadcore but very much less water resistance. That way your leadcore will also go down to seventy feet. Either way you will have to let out another few hundred feet and it moves your line from brown and steely depths to salmon territory.

I also tried to use 16 and 20 color lengths. That did not make a lot of difference in depth but it did cause a lot of lines crossing and knotting up .

One technique that I use a lot in the finger lakes with live bait and leadcore is stopping the engine and allowing the core with bait to sink down to even 200 feet where it comes into the cone of my fish finder and then start, go and stop . That way you can get the very big very deep lakers. I do think that it only works with live bait.

Edited by rolmops

I know many if not most guys are pretty sold on long leaders with leadcore or coppers, but rather than attaching the weight to the backing of the leadcore line but the "pencil" type (tungsten or lead) weights (with the clip opened up slightly) can be clipped on the leadcore above the leader to mainline swivel and the leader kept to the length of the rod. I know...there are going to be folks that say " Don't ever clip anything to the leadcore itself" but I have never had one do any noticible damage to the core itself resulting in any failure since the sheathing is the strongest part anyway. I also don't think the shorter leader is a problem as you are going deep so "stealth" is not necessarily a critical thing.

I know many if not most guys are pretty sold on long leaders with leadcore or coppers, but rather than attaching the weight to the backing of the leadcore line but the "pencil" type (tungsten or lead) weights (with the clip opened up slightly) can be clipped on the leadcore above the leader to mainline swivel and the leader kept to the length of the rod. I know...there are going to be folks that say " Don't ever clip anything to the leadcore itself" but I have never had one do any noticible damage to the core itself resulting in any failure since the sheathing is the strongest part anyway. I also don't think the shorter leader is a problem as you are going deep so "stealth" is not necessarily a critical thing.
I do same thing, have tried both ways. Putting weight on pole side puts big V in line which is much easier to tangle in other lines.

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Buy your self a couple torpedo weights in like 4 oz .8 oz just clip on were backing meats leadcore and let out as needed to set depth i have been running these with great success and have not had any problem with fish coming unhooked well removing weight just keep boat in gear .

We run snap weights all the time on our leadcores for walleye on Lake Erie.   Never had any issue doing that, but of

course we aren't  fighting a big salmon either.   We use the OR-16's (with pin) and usually clip it 125-150 from the lure.

John

Edited by times two