Otter boats

A friend of mine has otter boards they didn't run rite until we added the second keel. the placement of your tow loop is also critical on otter boards. we used the standard weight on the outside keel, nothing on the inside keel. they pull like a mule.

Ps. he don't run snubbers, he has tried them and said they sink the tow line so he doesn't like them.

Edited by Fishnut

Otter Boats will run just fine with a single keel if they are set up right. The location of the knot in the tow line harness has a lot to do with how they run.Sorry I don't remember the lengths off hand as it's been a good number of years since I've done it but somebody will chime in with the numbers or contact Big John directly and they will tell you

The double keels are for when you are pulling long coppers.

Edited by spoonfed-1
  • Like 1

It’s all about the length of the knot. I think we use 10 inches from the front of the otter boat, and that works well? The second keel is only for running coppers in summer, as stated before

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

2 hours ago, NymphO said:

Asking for a friend. Says his boats never run "right". He was told that snubbers are necessary, and would fix his issue. do you that run them agree ? What snubbers do you use ?

They pull real hard and do not take waves well. I haven't seen them ran yet so if you need more specifics I'll ask him.

Sent from my XT1650 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

First thing is to make sure they are assembled correctly.  https://www.bigjon.com/admin/partsimage/1441986991OTTBOATinstr.pdf

Big Jon suggests a 9" x 14" knot configuration but some of us run a 10"x 13" knot configuration.

The type of planer board line is also important. I like 200# braid. It has virtually zero stretch and doesn't absorb water. With that being said it doesn't hang in the water and cause board lag.

I run them and have no issues and no snubbers cause I run a spring on my mast to absorb the shock. They are directional as well. They can be tweaked to make them pull harder as well 

4E4BD123-15A3-48E1-8597-A0AF6E3DD5ED.jpeg

Just now, thumbburn said:

Sea 4..... what do you run for length on the backside?... I assume you run dbl keels with the rope in lower holes.....

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

11.5” on the backside and yes I run the double keels. The lower holes help with the pull and the shorter front line turns board against itself forcing it to pull harder out. If that makes sense, that’s what works for me. 

If the rope measurement is correct and you have good tow line they should run fine. However if you want them to pull a little harder without adding a second keel you can move the back hole over a ½ inch or so. This will create more resistance on the keel. I did this before adding a second keel and it worked great.