2 dipseys per side

I run one on a zero or one setting , sending that rod down first as your “low” diver then the next one goes an a 2.5 or 3 setting as a “high” diver , usually with fifty feet or more of line separation in distance out from the reel

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

Actually now that I think about it as long as your not running any lead or copper off of boards, I would send the high diver out first then the low diver then if you choose to a rigger to the inside of that next

I run mag dipseys.two per side . one set at 1 other at 3. 6ft 6 rod on the inside and a 10ft roller rod on the outside.  I let them out with the drag very slowly.

I usually tangle one side of the boat or the other every weekend. But its worth it because my best fish come off the dipseys. 30lb test mason wire.Dont know what else to tell ya.

I usually run the high diver out further than the low and set it first. If it's not out further it's really high because of the 1 vs. 3 setting. I usually run low on a 1 and high on 2.5. I also like a mag on the low and a regular on the high to increase seperation. I remember several days with the mag on a 1 (deep diver) out 200 to 250, and the high diver out 300 to 375. Tangles have not been an issue.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I run mine on 1.5 and 3 for the low and high. I figure low runs 2 to 1 for depth and high runs 3 to 1. So a normal set to fish 90 down would be high back 270 to 300 and low back 180. I use all 124mm dreamweaver divers but i change the weight and bottom cover out on the high diver to one from a 107 diver to get seperation of the divers. I have ran both 124s with the big weight for high and lows but felt my bites went down.

Edited by jerryriggin

Run inside at 1, and outside at 3 for max separation. Let the outside one out first, and then deploy the inside one. You should be fine, unless you hit a situation where you try and deploy the outside diver AFTER the inside is in the water. This sometimes happens when a fish hits the outside diver and you bring it in, then redeploy it.  The issue is when you redeploy it isn't biting into the water and pulling to the outside nicely. It just sinks behind the boat and inevitably tangles with the inside diver line.  It can be done, but you have to release it really slow on the outside of that inner diver.  Otherwise, for first timers, I'd say just bring in the inside diver to check it, and redeploy the outside first, inside second.

I run a magnum on the inside set on 1 and a regular diver with a mag ring set on 2 ( mid diver) and a regular diver on a 3 setting all off the same side. I only do this when there are 4 of us In The boat. Rules to run by.
1) Only let divers out when the boat is going straight.
2) run the inside diver the shortest.
3) run the mid diver somewhere longer than the inside and shorter than the high diver.
4) turn very slowly.
5) if you get a big fish on the mid or low diver all bets are off, if he’s pealing drag bust ass to get everything on that side out as fast as you can.
Works great for walleye but they don’t fight like kings. Lol.

I have 8’ Rod’s on my low and mid divers and 9.5’ rod on my high divers. I also use steel on my low divers.

They definitely help, but not required. Last year i ran a 124 mm dipsey on 2 and a 107 mm diver on 3, both on wire, both on 9 foot rods on the same side with no issues. As stated above, keep the boat straight and deploy carefully. Inside shorter and deeper, outside higher and longer IMG_9452.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

1 hour ago, wallysackett said:

As a follow up question, are you able to run leadcore/ copper rods off of a planer board on each side in conjunction with the high/ low divers, or do the high divers tangle with the coppers?

I do run a copper over the high and low but prefer to not go over a 300 copper to keep down the number of tangles. 

copper outside the divers is ok. it really makes little difference if there is 1 or 2 divers down when you are deploying copper. The dive curve on a diver should be steeper (ie a 300 diver deeper than a 300 copper) than copper, so the copper should go over the diver. I think it's important to let the copper out and let it sit in the chute for a bit so that it find its true depth, as there is a tendency for it to sink when it is being let out. Then swing it over the top of the divers. I also keep my furthest diver out shorter than the copper on that side. For example, if you are running a 400 copper, I would limit the high diver  on that side to a maximum distance out of 375.

In a perfect world you are dealing with an initial deployment situation....but when you have say 6 or 8 rods out already and have just brought a fish in one one and have hopefully avoided tangles on the way in the scenario may change greatly as you don't want to have to bring everything in the re-create your original deployment situation. Much of the time you have a changing situation all the way around (wind direction, trolling speed changes, turns, current changes etc. so a "one size fits all" approach or piece of advice may end up being an illusion and may not fit the circumstances. it is no accident that some of us are running coppers that were originally longer than 300 ft or so:lol:. The above advice is great advice for those particular circumstances but you will have to re-evaluate the re-deployment situation constantly when deploying your setups depending on what you already have out or are intending to deploy in combination and make adjustments as needed. Sometimes it involves letting the boards out way away from things while deploying something or placing the downriggers deeper etc. I know the most frequent disasters I have witnessed when on other boats has involved the combination of leadcores and coppers getting into each other and what a mess it is when it happens:lol:.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

I usually run a reg on 1 w/ more line out & shorter rod on the inside and a reg on 2.5 w/ less line out & longer rod on the outside. This is just until I find what/where the fish are at  then I run 1 hot diver rod/side. If the fish are scattered and the fish mood is neutral w/ sporadic to little action then I'll keep the double diver setup going and just keep searching. If this is the way it is then I'll have a board line/side out as well and maybe something down the chute so when we do hit a fish everything goes to hell and we feel we like really accomplished something.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chowder said:

I usually run a reg on 1 w/ more line out & shorter rod on the inside and a reg on 2.5 w/ less line out & longer rod on the outside. This is just until I find what/where the fish are at  then I run 1 hot diver rod/side. If the fish are scattered and the fish mood is neutral w/ sporadic to little action then I'll keep the double diver setup going and just keep searching. If this is the way it is then I'll have a board line/side out as well and maybe something down the chute so when we do hit a fish everything goes to hell and we feel we like really accomplished something.

that last part sums it up nicely sometimes by the time we get re-set up i am exhausted and want a couple mins to sit before the next fish hits

I will add something else to think about. I believe that what you are pulling behind the dipsey has a lot to do with how much the dipsey dives and how far it tracks out to the side. Speed has something to do with it also I believe pulling a paddle behind a dipsey it will not dive or track out as far as pulling a spoon.

I believe this topic has been covered very well. ( a lot of sound advice)
The only thing I will add. And I’ve seen this happen on more than one occasion.
Sometimes less is more.
I’ve been out running 1 dipsy per side and crushing them. A friend of mine was running 2 per side ( same bates I was using same settings and couldn’t get a strike. He pulled 1 per side and started catching.

• Like 1

so for  you frequent diver guys.   How often does a rigger fish get into the diver line if a fish goes on the rigger but not the diver next to it.  I fish by myself a fair amount and usually run 2 riggers and a diver.  I'm paranoid the fish on the rigger is going to go under the diver so i usally leave the hooked rigger fish in the holder after I hook it while I clear the diver.