Fort Niagara Boat Launch Project ???

Did the project to put a floating dock system connecting north & south ramps ever get completed?? I think it began in winter of  16-17. Then all work stopped in spring of last year cause of high water. Work never resumed entire summer. South ramp was closed all spring and summer. Anyhow saw the pics of what it should look like when done, its gonna be awesome!! Just curious on where this project is at?? 

The State of New York receives millions of dollars annually from sales and registration fees  from trailer boats. Also fuel taxes, outfitting the boats with necessary equipment sales taxes, and its Power Authority revenues yet does very little to support this issue. Our representatives in Albany are very inconsiderate at this revenue source with their non actions.

Are you saying the Ft. Niagara boat launch project is still not conpleted ?? Is the south ramp still closed ?? How is the water level so far this spring ??

It is Pathetic. With this world class fishery, and especially the Niagara Bar Location, and its unique properties,  that we don't have a good FLOATING  launch site nearby. I tried several times last year to launch and it was not doable, unless I wanted to risk damaging my boat. I am surprised that a Private owner with some lake-front does not put in a floating dock, ramp. Olcott was the only game in town last year for much of the summer. You would think others would get the message. I do agree, it is  unacceptable for NYS to be negligent on this.

Most media reports justify development from incoming tourist dollars. We have money for more hotels and other developing projects. Yet most fishing tourist dollars come from trailer boaters who want to access the fishing opportunities we are blessed with. Our marinas are full of yachts and sailboats. The trailer boaters are forgotten and we suffer with boat ramps that were developed generations ago. New boat ramp users are the thousands of personal watercraft sold to our younger generation and we have now gridlock conditions at most boat ramps on weekends when family use is curtailed from unreasonable launch and retrieval times. Do not question where the money will come from. New York State boating sales taxes and registration fees disappear in that black hole called Albany. Open your eyes and mouth and let us do something to end this political dysfunction. 

Edited by jimski2

NY takes in about 45 million for license fee's Then you add in boater reg cost along with taxes on everything associated with the sport and I think your close to 250 million in taxes and fee's. And don't forget they charge you to use some of the worst ramps in the country.. Yes, Jimski2s last 2 sentences were spot on.

They are currently working on the new docks. I stopped and checked it yesterday. I hope it is done by May! The water level wasn’t too bad. I thought it would have been higher. The pictures are taken from the south dock. There are new sections of docking sitting in the parking lot waiting to be installed.

9BFF48D4-E545-4A54-9809-AE03743C66A8.jpeg

74331AB4-E141-474C-885E-0F8A0208A95A.jpeg

BD7AC792-95EF-485F-9CB0-6AAAD26E7335.jpeg

Thankyou Jeb1340. Water level looks totally fine. Glad to hear they are working on it. Its gonna be a really nice launch setup when its finished.

I fished out of Ketchikan and Homer Alaska. Twice a day tides raise the water levels up to thirty feet each time. All the docks and ramps work all day and night. What is wrong with our Parks people who can not figure things out?

• Like 1

Not sure how floating "docks" finger piers would work in that open water. Just wondering if some big wake throwing boat cruising close by would create a unsafe condition when people may be loading/ unloading/ standing on floating structure ?  Most floating docks / launch ramps are in a protected area. Yet I do agree that the engineers should be able to come up with something that is safe and USEABLE year round for that particular ramp.

Made trip to Ft Niagara. This is what we saw. Will try and send a few more pics if I can figure out how to it. Its definitley a floating dock system that will connect north and south ramps.  The floating docks will run parallel to the shore.. It should be real nice when its done. Was supposed to be completed in spring of 2017 according to billboard/picture/sign at entrance way to launch area.

IMG_0820 (1).JPG

25 minutes ago, Mike M said:

Made trip to Ft Niagara. This is what we saw. Will try and send a few more pics if I can figure out how to it. Its definitley a floating dock system that will connect north and south ramps.  The floating docks will run parallel to the shore.. It should be real nice when its done. Was supposed to be completed in spring of 2017 according to billboard/picture/sign at entrance way to launch area.

IMG_0820 (1).JPG

Yes but the floating docks running parallel won't help when the cement launching docks are under water. How can I launch my boat and get it out to the floating docks when the cement docks are under water like they were last year? Especially if you are launching alone or with someone who is unable to handle the boat. This does not solve the problem at all. 

Anyhow when we were there Friday I got the name of contractor that’s doing this project. Got project managers name& # too. Cerone construction co. Tried calling him no luck left message. Want to know what the new project ed completion date is. Right know it’s 1 year past projected completion. I’m gonna be a squeaky wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Also want say I’ve been launching at Ft N. for over 30 years. Right now water level IMHO looks close to normal. I was at Olcott harbor Saturday and looked fairly normal there too. Spring 2017 was a very abnormal event. I’m optimistic this years water levels will not affect boat launching to much and the fishing is gonna be fantastic!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

Hey Gary do you keep your boat on the Catt on Erie in summer?? Think we talked on phone last summer about set-up problems with your TR-1 AP. If your the same Gary hope all is going well!

On 4/9/2018 at 10:13 PM, Mike M said:

Hey Gary do you keep your boat on the Catt on Erie in summer?? Think we talked on phone last summer about set-up problems with your TR-1 AP. If your the same Gary hope all is going well!

No I keep my boat at home in Clarence. I do fish Erie out of the CATT though. My autopilot is a lowrance.

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old post but looking for information on this launch.   I launched last time at the north ramp and it was way too shallow.   Trailer had to go off the end of ramp to get boat on trailer.   Anyone know if the South ramp is better?   It looks steeper but don't want to trailer there and find out I cannot launch.   

Thanks!