Islander Transom

Riceyboy287

Hey guys I’m throwing a new transom in my 87’ islander 220v(O/B)to get it ready for sale. I’m slightly into it and have a mental picture of the rest of the project but was wondering if anyone had any unseen problems they could fill me in on any pictures. I have seen a few things on the I/O Islanders but can’t seem to find anything on mine... thanks - jon

I did one on my sylvan a few years back. You may need a long screw driver or breaker bar. Mine was saturated and expanded not allowing it not to come out. I was able to pry and get it out in a few big pieces which I used for a template. I used 3/4 marine plywood and bonded two sheets together with 301 epoxy and coated the whole thing. Was pretty straight forward all in all

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

I am not sure if marine plywood is the right material. I used it when I did my Islander, but in retrospect I would use a different plywood today.The marine plywood is not only very expensive , but it is also quite soft. It is very dense, which is important. I used Okuma. Marine plywood will rot just as fast as other plywood and you will have to treat it with a few layers of epoxy. A good thing to have is another 2 boards which you need to put the glued together plywood in between and a bunch of concrete blocks to lay on top as weights during the setting process of the glue. I found that putting some eye bolts in the old transom and using a chain and a cherrypicker will make removal of the old transom a lot easier. It is heavy.

I've got the same model just a few years older ('84) islander.  You don't see many outboard islanders of that vintage.  I inspect my transom annually or whenever I'm doing some work back there and its solid so far but I'll be following this post as I'm sure at some point I'll be doing this project.  If you get a chance post some progress pictures.  Good Luck.

Just to give you a bit of insight on this. The only difference in marine plywood is that is void free and sometimes has a few more plies increasing its strength. Sheeting grade can be used but be picky when buying it. Glue generously and clamp or weight to laminate the sheets together. Cut all profiles as needed . job is not super tough but takes time. Put at least 2 coats of epoxy over it to seal up. Caulk all drill holes well. We have done a couple of these on I/Os. Your outboard will be easier. Best of luck to you