Big Board Showdown

Im looking to rig my boat with some Cisco manual reels and pulleys.  Are the Aurora Lite boards worth the additional cost over the Amish Outfitters boards?  Im looking to primarily pull 3-4 rods off of lead core off each board.  And occasionally 2-3 rods of copper off each board when I can make it up to salmon fish.

I personally don't thinks so, my boards are similar to the amish boards but I made mine out of cedar and didn't treat them so they soak up the water which makes them ride deeper in the water which makes them more stable and pull like a mule. I pull 10 color cores and multi other things off the same board, even in 2-3ft+ waves I've never had a bad experience. 

I've had the Aurora's for 6 years- had heavy wood before that. The Aurora's pull anything and don't dive under like the heavy wood boards. They are also much, much easier to lift out of the water. Like all really big boards they will have a tendency to rip the line out of your releases when pulling long copper with a big flasher in rough water. There just isn't much give in the planer line and when the board takes a knock it will pop the release from time to time.

I will add that you may want to consider not planning to run 3 cores or 3 coppers off each big board on Ontario. Even with your deeper lines next to the boat a good king on the outside line may take out your inside lines and make an expensive monster mess. Also, you can't redeploy the high line on the outside very easily if it's hot because now it's in the way of bringing fish in on the deeper lines to the outside of it. You might be better off using the Red Walleye inlines if you want to run multiple junk lines out to the outside. I do this quite a bit fishing for walleye or on the Finger Lakes for fish with less destructive tendencies than the Chinook. If you have the 3 coppers/cores off the big boards technique down then please forgive my words of caution.

I've been running the Amish Outfitter's Redwood boards for 3 years and they ave worked well for me. I see they now have some kind of "plastic" big boards they are selling for about $189.00a pair.

I know nothing about them, but Amish makes good products and it might be worth taking a look at them before you spend over $350 for a set of Aurora's. I'm sure there are others on this site that can vouch for the Amish products.

Boat Safe,

Egoody

I have the composite Amish boards and I love them. They pull hard enough where the boat has to be in neutral to pull them in. I’ve never pulled more than 2 leadcore or copper at a time because I do all I can to avoid a tangle.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

20 hours ago, jigstick said:

Im looking to rig my boat with some Cisco manual reels and pulleys.  Are the Aurora Lite boards worth the additional cost over the Amish Outfitters boards?  Im looking to primarily pull 3-4 rods off of lead core off each board.  And occasionally 2-3 rods of copper off each board when I can make it up to salmon fish.

I just got a set of Cysco electric reels and pulleys (took 2 1/2 weeks just so you are aware) They make the best stuff for tough jobs.

On 3/29/2018 at 5:44 PM, chowder said:

I've had the Aurora's for 6 years- had heavy wood before that. The Aurora's pull anything and don't dive under like the heavy wood boards. They are also much, much easier to lift out of the water. Like all really big boards they will have a tendency to rip the line out of your releases when pulling long copper with a big flasher in rough water. There just isn't much give in the planer line and when the board takes a knock it will pop the release from time to time.

I will add that you may want to consider not planning to run 3 cores or 3 coppers off each big board on Ontario. Even with your deeper lines next to the boat a good king on the outside line may take out your inside lines and make an expensive monster mess. Also, you can't redeploy the high line on the outside very easily if it's hot because now it's in the way of bringing fish in on the deeper lines to the outside of it. You might be better off using the Red Walleye inlines if you want to run multiple junk lines out to the outside. I do this quite a bit fishing for walleye or on the Finger Lakes for fish with less destructive tendencies than the Chinook. If you have the 3 coppers/cores off the big boards technique down then please forgive my words of caution.

When on my friends boat we almost always run 200-300-400 copper off each board.  I think he has the massive Aurora boards though.  Im not looking to get the enormous ones...just the standard sized big boards.  My inline planners just aren't cutting it any more.