Spring striper help

sbascombe

New to the forum. From cato ny. I will be traviling to the hudson river second weekend of may launching out of catskill ny for spring stripers. I have never done this before, but always wanted to and nows the time. Looking for any helpful hints. Not looking for anyones honey holes... just basic rigging, prefered bait, stuff like that. I normally troll finger lakes for lakers. I have down riggers and dipsy rods for trolling or rod holders for drifting. Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I fished out of Newburgh - Beacon last year for the first time on the Hudson we did really good , from what I saw its pretty much drift fishing with blood worms or eels and bait is expensive and there is only one place I know of selling it and you have to pre order your bait , I brought home 3 just around 28'' there is a slot limit . You do need a Marine Registry license you can it  anytime and its free just do a google search on it and call them for the license , you might be able to get it online as I needed it that day so had to call them . I did see one boat trolling but not sure if they caught any fish .

• Like 1

i did this same trip several years ago.  the wife has family near poughkeepsie so i figured lets go visit and bring the boat.  trip was a blast we found a big school of them on the finder and just drifted the area.  you nailed the rig egg sinker to a swivel fluro leader and a circle hook.  put it down 12 to 20 thats where we were marking them.  put the rods out parallel to the water with the bail open but the clicker on and sit back and enjoy the day.  when putting on a fresh blood worm dont take off the old pieces leave them on you can never have to much blood worm.. 

you can also use sand worms if you can find them they are a little cheaper.  we tried and failed to catch our own herring but its an option.  

best of luck it is trip every new york fisherman should try at least once

stripers247.com  i got a ton of info from there as well as some areas to start looking that year.

Not saying trolling won't work there just wasn't much of it going on , pretty much all drifting it would be nice if trolling worked .We used about a 6 to 8 ft fluorcarbon leader of 15 lb test to mainline with a # 5 or 7 barrel swivel , egg sinker 1 to 2oz. depending on the wind and tide you want it to hang fairly straight or it wont stay at the right depth , if memory serves me hooks were 4/0 circle. They were easy to see on the depth finder and we caught alot of the fish we marked and that also will give you the depth there at 17 ft was good for us that day . Good luck  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ll be slipped again in Marlboro, been fishing area for about 15 years, Mother’s Day weekend is always a good time to fish, drifting bloods and sands on the channel edges, good sunny days gets them cranked up as the water warms, can get them anytime of day, follow the tide changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Ceely's Bait Bucket
  • Address: 436 Shore Rd, New Windsor, NY 12553
  • Phone: (845) 534-3495
Right down the road from Newburgh launch you can order Bloods and Sands most of the time last year Bloods were 13 a dozen sands were 9 a dozen  definitely pays to call and make sure they have them, always a fun trip I try to make at least once a year. Some days one will out fish the other but I have a friend that only buys sands and he catches fish every time.
  •  

heading down to the Hudson next week,hoping to fish out of catskill if the fish have made it that far north.i like to anchor up along channel edges or behind breaks in the current like bridge pilings or rock piles.preferred bait for us is cut herring and 1 live one swimming around.you can find bait at river basin sport shop,right in catskill 518-943-2111 or riverview marine services,518-943-5311,which is right near the launch.

Usually better on incoming, outgoing is often good too. Slack is usually not good. We troll out of Kingston and/or run live or chunk on sliders. You can catch 20+ schoolies trolling with large females in the mix depending on the day. Striper techniques and slider baits change a fair amount from the mouth to Troy.

13240050_10207005887929125_5197124895635711244_n.jpg