just looking for some input on some setups

Just had a couple of questions for all those guys i look up to in the marina. How do u guys add rig a double dipsy out one side. I run an inside mono on the 1 setting and an outside wire on the 3 setting it seems to be ok but i just wanted another opinion. Another thing is the "black box". Is it worth having? It seem it to me just by the things that i have read, but i don't know anyone with one. And the last thing is those J-plugs i have i couple of em but never hade any luck on them. I just didn't know the best way to rig them and the best speed to run them. What seem to be a good color cause the ones i have are pretty old. Thanks for any info, good luck out there!

I would be VERY careful about running a mono diver inside of a wire diver. A mono diver on #1 will still not go as deep as a wire diver on #3 and if the two ever meet your mono diver will always come out the loser.

Just a suggestion....put your wire on the inside on a 1 1/2 or even a 2 and your mono outside on a 3. I do it all the time and they never get together.

J-plugs....two colors---silver bullet and green glow. When fishing the pierheads run them as flatlines out 100-120 ft and on riggers--down 3 and back 50. In deeper water a 30-50ft. lead is sufficient.

Good luck!

Paul

Free Spirit

you want to run your j-plugs at about 3 mph. I run swivels with mine- some people do not. You can not run flashers or meat at that spped- stick to J-Plugs and mag spoons at the same time.

FYI- during the fall derby, we took between 10-15 big kings on silver bullet j-plugs at 3.2 MPH- even running them as deep as 120 down over 115 FOW

His balls were highly unlikely to hit the bottom...

I've done lots of laker fishing and sometimes I fish browns or kings just like lakers, pounding the balls on the bottom and i've noticed at a "normal" salmon speed its going to take at least 20 more feet of cable to touch bottom than what your depthfinder says...

So if in 100' you probably wont touch bottom with 120' of cable out...Somedays i've had 160-180' of cable out to get me on bottom in 130-140 going at lake trout speeds...These are things to take into account when your marking fish belly down to the bottom and want to make sure your lures are going by them...

Hooks;

I can see my downrigger weights on the my sonar, & I do not use the cable counter to position my weights, I use my sonar. Therefore, if I was 120' on the cable counter I too would be higher than the bottom @ 115', that's why I do not use the cable counter to set my rigger depth. It is usually hooks on the graph, or the fishhawk thermocline indication that drive the location/depth of my presentation. Using the cable counter is basically useless!!!!!!! I always use the sonar shallow alarm to bottom watch for me as well.

Iceman,

Finally somebody besides me that thinks counter's on riggers are GARBAGE!!!

The boat I normally fish on has 4 cannon's only 1 of them has a accurate counter and it always matches up with the line on the graph, other's I can put all 3 at the same count and they are all at different depths...I only use the graph to match my spread up to where I see fish coming through if i'm not seeing fish I use the fishhawk to find the top and bottom of temp, watch where my ball was making the line's and set my spread in that zone...

That shallow alarm is a good idea, I will bounce probes and chrome sharks off the bottom willingly but my 1 buddy gets scared when his probe is 10 feet off the bottom so i'll have to remember that shallow alarm for him next time...