Boat to chose... want opinions duck!

Ok, so I am looking to end my partnership in my current boat and buy my own...it is primarily for the budding charter business but have a list of wants....and seeking opinions before I buy...ive been looking at prolines carefully and like that 1996 and newer there is no wood involved to rot...here are my lists of wants...and budget.. fire away at my assumptions...

Requirements

Like a full walk around

26 foot to 32 foot

Tired of inboards want out boards

Want two engines

Must have a head pump out

Like larger beam of prolines 2950 at nearly 11feet

Would take two strokes if they are the newer early 2000s models that are fuel efficient 4 strokes ok..

Dont want a project boat beyond all boats are projects ive done a full restore dont want that

Like a cabin for trips if needed to sleep on board...

Want hard top

Im leaning very heavy at proline saw a grady though that had me looking at that now....

Budget 25-35k

Suggestions welcome....

Captain Mark

Www.indepthfishingadventures.com

Just a couple of considerations before the expected responses:

Do you intend to trailer the boat?

Will you be chartering on Lake O or just the Fingers?

Sounds as though you are preliminarily shaping your possible decision (maybe unconssciously) about the Prolines. You have an opportunity for a "blank canvas" here and the advice you receive may be largely related to "personal preference"

Maybe list the pros and cons of the different selections or recommendations on paper for later review and let the data speak to you having an open mind.

Since it will be a charter vessel try to put youself in the customers position (comforts, ease of enjoying themselves) This may be a different concern from that of how to set up and fish from the boat.

Look at whatever boat you consider in terms of whether you'll have to get NEW equipment vs. being able to rig your current stuff on it (or some of it). Having to equip a new charter boat with new stuff could nearly double your initial expenses and severely cut into your budget for the boat itself

Thoroughly check out reviews on forums for your top choices e.g. hulltruth etc.

I prefer to trailer, primarily charter on finger lakes however occasionally plan to do Lake Ontario.  Other comments I agree I am hoping to have it mostly equipped to fish but I have most of what I need already to add.

I prefer to trailer, primarily charter on finger lakes however occasionally plan to do Lake Ontario...

I’m confused, in your first post you want a wider beam boat sounds like 10-11’. Here you say you want to trailer between the finger lakes and Lake Ontario.

I think you should buy either a large trailerable boat or pick the best boat for wherever you plan to be your home port.

Pretty much agree with above post ^. Your going to need need a 2500 to pull and stop it, so you may have to budget for a suitable truck. Then your going to need a over width permit every time you move it or spend some money on a blanket permit.  Gradys to the best of my knowledge have wood and known issues with that over the years. Chartering on O would have me looking at twin inboards,low center of gravity,more centered, and a hell of a lot cheaper to repower. Along with more client friendly working area at the stern when they are bringing a feisty one in.

Ok, so some clarifications, I do intend to slip the boat in Cayuga, the only trailer work will be to and from the lake beginning and end of season, and perhaps moving it to Ontario if I don't want to run the locks.... I have a truck suitable so I'm good to be able to pull.....it, don't plan to do it full of fluids but it can handle it enough My trailer is the same weight and similar length with no problems......

What I am really wondering is have I missed a boat that has a solid reputation that meets the above requirements....I've looked at a ton of ads and pictures, I'm just not all that thrilled with the Grady's that are older they seem to have issues with rot unless they were babied....Ive studied every boat listed on here for the last year....each gets disqualified so far when compared above....

Sk8.......I appreciate your well thought out response....yes considering comfort of the customer is top, as well as functionality...Which is why I lean hard on the 2950....nice rear facing bench for two wide open deck for fighting and bringing in fish...nice walk through transom for loading, easy access to the cabin for using the head or relaxing if tired, built in coolers to keep the coolers off the deck less tripping hazards, full enclosure around the hard top..can walk up and around onto a nice seat on the bow to get a change of scenery....These boats were originally built as saltwater off shore fishing platforms with a cruise cabin as well....

I will never go I/O again.....sick of hanging upside down and being a contortionist to work on the engines....appreciate the lower center of gravity but realistically that boat is written up for its ride and I believe proline got boat of the year back in the 90s behind that design....two years in a row .......  

I'm going to pull the trigger here in the next couple of weeks if I can settle in on one, I'm just looking for someone to kick me in the head here if I'm missing something......

yeah I gave a hard look at it........boat needs to pull double duty for me...need more of a good mix of cabin cruiser and fishing machine, that one is all fishing machine..it was close though...there are a couple repowered ones I'm looking at now, I think it says something about a boats construction when an owner is willing to do a full repower.....I have about six weeks to make this happen take possession and outfit it how I want it...lot of moving parts......

rolmops......I checked out your suggestion.....not many available and those that are cant be had for the budget....look like solid boats though...had never heard of them before so thanks for the suggestion....also most seem powered by a single engine I really want two engines....I know i can do a kicker but want some extra horse power for if the world turns to crap on me.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lewis863 said:

rolmops......I checked out your suggestion.....not many available and those that are cant be had for the budget....look like solid boats though...had never heard of them before so thanks for the suggestion....also most seem powered by a single engine I really want two engines....I know i can do a kicker but want some extra horse power for if the world turns to crap on me.....

Praying Mantis Charters in the Little Salmon River has a twin engine Steiger. He has won several tournaments using it. He zooms across the lake at 60 miles an hour. So if the fish don't bite here he'll pick up his gear and tries his luck thirty miles away in half an hour.

I was looking for a similar type boat, and really like the Striper 2901. Not sure of quality (haven't done much research yet), but the layout looks great for a dual purpose fishing/cruiser. Might be hard to find one in that price range though...

Yeah no... looking for walk around that 28 is identical to the pursuit Denali right down to the rear berth buried under ladder going into cabin the extra couple feet width in beam give a much better access to cabin and rear berth ... but nice boat 

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, so some clarifications, I do intend to slip the boat in Cayuga, the only trailer work will be to and from the lake beginning and end of season, and perhaps moving it to Ontario if I don't want to run the locks.... I have a truck suitable so I'm good to be able to pull.....it, don't plan to do it full of fluids but it can handle it enough My trailer is the same weight and similar length with no problems......

What I am really wondering is have I missed a boat that has a solid reputation that meets the above requirements....I've looked at a ton of ads and pictures, I'm just not all that thrilled with the Grady's that are older they seem to have issues with rot unless they were babied....Ive studied every boat listed on here for the last year....each gets disqualified so far when compared above....

Sk8.......I appreciate your well thought out response....yes considering comfort of the customer is top, as well as functionality...Which is why I lean hard on the 2950....nice rear facing bench for two wide open deck for fighting and bringing in fish...nice walk through transom for loading, easy access to the cabin for using the head or relaxing if tired, built in coolers to keep the coolers off the deck less tripping hazards, full enclosure around the hard top..can walk up and around onto a nice seat on the bow to get a change of scenery....These boats were originally built as saltwater off shore fishing platforms with a cruise cabin as well....

I will never go I/O again.....sick of hanging upside down and being a contortionist to work on the engines....appreciate the lower center of gravity but realistically that boat is written up for its ride and I believe proline got boat of the year back in the 90s behind that design....two years in a row .......  

I'm going to pull the trigger here in the next couple of weeks if I can settle in on one, I'm just looking for someone to kick me in the head here if I'm missing something......
Prolines are good boats and can be had used for a reasonable price. My father in law had a 1994 21' center console, now has a 2000 24' cuddy and i have an 81 23' cuddy. It is nice having the cabin i would strongly recommend an enclosure. They are lighter fiberglass boats so they will ride a little rougher than heavier robalos or gradys.

I love prolines but I am planning on going aluminium plate for my next boat. The aluminum plate hold their value longer and from what i have seen and heard ride better with a 2 stage deadrise. More aggressive deadrise in the bow then flattens off too something like 23* or 24*. Not to mention no stress cracks no issues of bubbled fiberglass, no water absorption. IMO plate boats are far better performance and functionality. You will like double your budget when looking for cabin plate boat but worth it in the long run. I'm looking for my forever boat something to last 30 years and i think aluminum is the answer for me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hmmm aluminum is light make sure you test one out in wind and waves... I’m in the middle of a 2950 purchase pending sea trial weighs 7500 without the dual 250 hp engines so it’s stable in big water ...and waves in 96 they removed all wood from boat so no rot issues all hulls I’ve seen so far are tanks...

Hmmm aluminum is light make sure you test one out in wind and waves... I’m in the middle of a 2950 purchase pending sea trial weighs 7500 without the dual 250 hp engines so it’s stable in big water ...and waves in 96 they removed all wood from boat so no rot issues all hulls I’ve seen so far are tanks...
The dry weight is around 2900 lbs. For a 22' boat. That's about what a 21' proline center console weighs. I'm thinking hewescraft, smokercraft, or edge marine. Looking for one of the west coast plate boats.

Duckworth is another good one but better bring your check book, they are 6 digits brand new.