8 minutes ago, rvazque2 said:

Will Okuma convector 30 reels work for downriggers on salmon?

Also what pound test line and leader?

Perfect size for downriggers. My number 1 choice is 25# Blood Run Tournament mono.

30’s will work for both. They will both hold 1000 ft of wire. I would take the better ones and use them for your dipsys.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• 1 month later...

I agree with magdas being ok for riggers but not great for wire.  My boat came with magdas rigged for divers with braid and they didn't give me confidence.  I've slowly changed them out for okuma cold water reels and put big game on the magdas for riggers.

Magda pro just is not built for heavy duty fishing. There is a reason why they are cheap. I only have one on my rig and at most I use it for fingerlake lakers.   

On 5/27/2018 at 6:01 PM, rolmops said:

Magda pro just is not built for heavy duty fishing. There is a reason why they are cheap. I only have one on my rig and at most I use it for fingerlake lakers.   

I have a couple 30 size Magdas with Tuna Toms CF drag washer upgrade and power handles, I use them when I run 4 dipseys in summer time. They haven't let me down yet, they were my main wire dipsey setups when I first started and have caught a good number of fish. Magdas aren't the greatest (specifically the LC portion) but the reel is far from junk.

Edited by FishingFool34