Battery advise please

old man

Have had problems with Walmart Batteries , had failures within 1-1/2 yr.  , even though They gave me free replacements it was a PITA  To get the batteries in and out . Switched to Interstate , going on 4th year without a problem. just make sure you trickle charge every month or so during the winter .

It really depends on how far down you drain the batteries and I'm betting you run them way down every trip.  I haven't really found a battery that doesn't have a noticeable drop in performance by the end of each season.  My use is extreme, but I'll bet it's an every other year expense for you so get a battery with a 2 year replacement.  I use Walmart and replace them yearly....can't justify the expensive ones as I doubt they will last 3 to 4 seasons.  

Edited by justtracytrolling
Posted before done

I’m with ya on the Optima’s lasted 1 1/2 years same as any others junk!! My uncle for a week end warrior goes through top of the line as well as Walmart, just went with him to cabelas to exchange 2 AGM batteries, 2 months past warranty, they wouldn’t budge, I said to the battery guy, you know damn well there are 6 months of not being used and he bought the smart charger to keep the surface charge up and still no dice in getting even a % off, so no matter who you talk to it seems 2 years out of a deep cycle seems par for the case. I have Decka seconds in my boat going on 3 years now, hopefully they won’t jinx me.

Hi Have used Interstates for a long time, never had a problem and the price is right. A smart charger helps. Prevents overcharge and will trickle charge only when - if needed.

So hears the deal with batteries get deep cycle with removeable caps and a good battery charger After  use allways recharge on a auto setting and once a month ck water levels in all cells if low add distilled water only allways keep lead plates under water as this will short out the cell . Atleast once a year give the batteries a max charge for a couple hours this bill cause the batteries to gas and it will help remove build up on the lead plates in the batteries witch is what causing  them to go bad . I live off the grid and maintain 16 lead acid batteries for the last  5 years with no issues . If you need more info just goggle it and i am sure you will find alot of info . You could go to a gel glass mate battery but very exspensive .

Some of this may be "luck of the draw" as well as the type of usage. I use a normal starting battery for my main motor starting. I've had my other combination deep cycly/starting battery since 2010 that I purchased from Autozone . I run 3 downriggers, A lowrance, a 9.9 Tohatsu and a 55 lb Minnkota off it. The 9.9 charges it when trolling at speed, and I charge it maybe once during the season and then fully charge it when I put it away. I have gotten 8 years out of it and it appears to be ready for this season :lol:

battery1.jpg

battery2.jpg

A big factor in battery life is dependent upon the charger you use. The new class of smart chargers with multi-step charging programs can significantly extend battery life and can electrically recondition older batteries renewing their performance. In some cases they can even restore usable life to batteries that can’t be charged by the older tech traditional chargers. I used to replace the batteries in my off-site stored RV every other year. I changed the old style charger out 4 years ago when the latest batteries were 1 year old and the batteries are still going strong. I use the RV once or twice a year, otherwise it’s sits unplugged. I plug it in for a couple days before and after each trip and when I unplug it the light on the charger reports all is still going well. It’s already paid for itself a couple times over.

Mine is a Noco brand Genius charger, not sure which model. Reviews rated it well 4 years ago. There’s probably even better chargers available today. You might consider doing a search for current smart charger reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I have had good luck with the  Dura last from Auto Zone also, going on 3-4 yrs. on the last ones I bought.  Also buy the newest ones on the shelf. I have found walmart's to be 2-3 yrs. old on their shelf check the date stickers.   They put them on the shelf & forget about them.

Quick Auto Zone customer service story :  I purchased 2 batteries in the Newark NY store for my boat I fish out of Sodus. One year and a week later they failed. I brought them back with no receipt and armed only with my phone number they located my purchase and replaced the batteries. I now buy any auto I need at Auto Zone. 

Smart chargers help but if you run your batteries way down every time the total number of charges you will get during the batteries life is reduced dramatically.  No regular deep cycle can be drained to 25% or less 100+ times and still produce the same amp hours.  Trolling motors used heavily all day do this every time you fish.  Ive drained mine to zero 3 times in a day and no trickle charger is gonna have you back on the water 3 times in a day. 

9 hours ago, Bosun Cowboy said:

On my 6th season with Interstate deep cycles. No issues and they still run my trolling motor strong for days.

X2 on interstate

Autozone duralast have been very good for me for years. Especially for the price. One out of a few failed 1yr+/- they replaced with one quick battery test.