New to Lake O- windy day options

Hi all, first post. Just want to say that I am extremely impressed with good info and good people. LOU is exceptional in that it does not have a bit of bashing or smart alec comments that you would typically find on Facebook... Hats off to you folks!

First trip to the big water around Mexico bay/Oswego planned for mid April targeting Browns. Staying just east of Oswego. Coming from VT with 16’lund pro sport. Smaller boat I realize so we have to play the weather. My question is: if the wind kicks up, would you suggest Sodus Bay or go up to Henderson Bay? Just looking for options so we don’t waste the trip. Any input or other info greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

The above info sounds best if launching from there..If launching from Sodus Point the bay is very handy as you can fish out on the lake in either a west or east direction for browns and if gets real rough you can go in the bay and fish the browns in there and it is relatively close by and sheltered for safety. Sodus Point/bbay is really too far from Oswego if it gets rough and in a small boat so your launch site is critical.

Thank you all, this is good info. Plan to stay around Oswego and fishing three days, willing to travel some for the launch site. Will launch different places depending on weather. Sodus would be worth the trip if it looked like the wind would kick up later in day. Like I said, first trip so the goal is to learn, be safe, and not be in other peoples way. I’d rather have poor fishing with fewer boats than be constantly fighting the crowds.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Bigger South winds are not going to be your problem- it's going to big Westerlies in fair weather or NWs in the crap. You could go down to Cayuga lake and fish the west side if it's honking from the West and it probably wouldn't be bad at all. Just a thought.

When we used to go to Oswego and the wind got bad we would either haul down to Sodus bay or head to the finger lakes. It was a couple hours each way and it was good to plan it the night before so you can get an early start. After a few years we just started going to Wilson or Oak Orchard