Auto Pilot suggestions

TBrovata

Hey folks,

I'm in the market for a new Auto Pilot for my 24' Wellcraft.  Pretty sure I have a hydraulic system but cannot verify until I pull the shrink wrap off it later this week.  Anyway, looking for thoughts good and bad of what is out there and what guys have had success with.  My initial findings are the Ray Marine Evolution series, but want to hear what people think before plunking down $2,000.  I also have a Lowrance HDS 7 Gen2 I wouldn't mind integrating if possible.

Thanks,

Tony

motor.jpg

I think you'll find it's cable over power assist, the pump is right below the alternator in your picture.  With your HDS7 Gen 2 you might want to look into the Lowrance pilot for cable steer system.

• Like 1

Hey folks,
I'm in the market for a new Auto Pilot for my 24' Wellcraft.  Pretty sure I have a hydraulic system but cannot verify until I pull the shrink wrap off it later this week.  Anyway, looking for thoughts good and bad of what is out there and what guys have had success with.  My initial findings are the Ray Marine Evolution series, but want to hear what people think before plunking down $2,000.  I also have a Lowrance HDS 7 Gen2 I wouldn't mind integrating if possible.
Thanks,
Tony

motor.thumb.jpg.34810ad618f3fe10dadcabff65c52559.jpg

You are half way there with your Gen 2 HDS. I lucked into a Lowrance cable auto pilot for $499 Canadian at my local Cabelas. Just ordered a new HDS7 Gen 3 to run it. From what I have read you can’t go wrong with the lowrance pilot system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got the Lowrance  Outboard autopilot last year. It works great, does all kinds of stuff. I can troll down to 1.2 mph.  I think they make one that will work for your application also,but not sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Garmin makes several AP systems, including their Reactor 40 Corepack with SmartPump and GHC 20 display. Not sure what you're willing to spend but I think this system and support that comes with it is second to none. In doing quite a bit of research, it sounds like the Lowrance Outboard Pilot is a toy compared to the SmartPump system.

16 hours ago, ADKHewes said:

Garmin makes several AP systems, including their Reactor 40 Corepack with SmartPump and GHC 20 display. Not sure what you're willing to spend but I think this system and support that comes with it is second to none. In doing quite a bit of research, it sounds like the Lowrance Outboard Pilot is a toy compared to the SmartPump system.

The Lowrance ouboard AP I got last summer works fantastic. Definitely not a toy as far as capability on my boat. Now, I do not know about reliability. I was going o get the garmin AP, but, the fine print said it may not control the boat at slow speeds, which is exactly what I need it for; trolling.  So I went with Lowrance, which required me to buy an HDS unit to control it. I have heard Lowrance service-repair is non existant, so I would be wary of going the lowrance route again. but the units work great so far, down to  1 mph.

On 4/13/2018 at 4:58 PM, ADKHewes said:

In doing quite a bit of research, it sounds like the Lowrance Outboard Pilot is a toy compared to the SmartPump system.

Why do you have to insult others just to feel better about your decision on which AP to purchase? In my extensive research, I found Hewescraft is a toy compared to a Duckworth or a few other Pacific style boat manufacturers...it's all relative to your budget and needs. Why spend more money on "the best" when what you actually need might be considerably less expensive and still work perfectly for your needs?

BTW...Simrad has been making AP systems for a long time, and Garmin has had their share of issues with their adventure in the AP market.

Edited by Tyee II

Has Tyee mentionne the Lowrance hydraulic AP is in fact a Simrad and Simrad is consider the best in the AP business. The Lowrance for the cable steer steering is using the Octopus drive otor witch is also consider the top notch for this application so stating that Lowrance is a toy is very far to be true.

3 hours ago, Tyee II said:

Why do you have to insult others just to feel better about your decision on which AP to purchase? In my extensive research, I found Hewescraft is a toy compared to a Duckworth or a few other Pacific style boat manufacturers...it's all relative to your budget and needs. Why spend more money on "the best" when what you actually need might be considerably less expensive and still work perfectly for your needs?

BTW...Simrad has been making AP systems for a long time, and Garmin has had their share of issues with their adventure in the AP market.

About time someone stands up for what works, and not the “Quote” higher end name brand that may or may not even be compatible to the lower price unit. GMC truck owner says Chevy trucks are junk????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ADKHewes said:

I apologize. Reading my post back to myself, it does sound slightly offensive. Not my intent AT ALL! As I've mentioned before, this site is an awesome source of information and I certainly do not want to wear out my welcome!

:yes: :yes: :handshake:

12 hours ago, ADKHewes said:

I apologize. Reading my post back to myself, it does sound slightly offensive. Not my intent AT ALL! As I've mentioned before, this site is an awesome source of information and I certainly do not want to wear out my welcome!

No worries. In reality everything on my boat, including the boat itself, is a toy. I hope your new toys work out for you!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tyee II said:

No worries. In reality everything on my boat, including the boat itself, is a toy. I hope your new toys work out for you!

My wife says something similar, " the older the boys the more the toys" although she is the one that insists we get a fish hawk this year. lol