Northeast, PA Lake Trout

**Please move if I posted in wrong forum**

Thinking on heading up to Northeast, PA to try catching a few Lakers.  Seems info is pretty limited on the net.  Anyone fished out of Northeast?  Looking for specific water temps to start?  Seems most people talk about fishing the mountain.  All ears if anyone has any tips/techniques.

Thank you

Eric

412 491 3674

Edited by Eyecatcher

Off that area of the lake the deepest depth is 210 feet of water off Long Point in Ontario. During warm water summer lake temperature conditions Lake trout migrate there to feed on smelt and alewife. Trolling spoons near the bottom in areas of one hundred foot of water seem to be best for lakers. Barcelona Harbor in New York is also good for lake trout.

You've got it about right, Eyecatcher.  We usually start setting up in about 50 fow with baits in bottom 10 foot and riggers right off bottom with spoons or spin n glos.  Troll north until you hit the mountain and then you can zig zag back across the structure, although many times in early spring they are roaming around in packs far from the mountain in those 50 - 60 ft depths.  Should be kicking off here shortly and you can usually find them inside the mountain until end of May or so.

12 hours ago, pap said:

Where in NE Pa, you looking to fish Lakers, I live in NE,Pa, and haven’t heard of any lakes that hold lakers??

Good question Pap, I was thinking the same thing when I first read it. Thanks for the clarification Eyecatcher, and good luck out there!

The USA record Lake Erie LakeTrout was taken by Jesse Wykstra on 8/9/2003. It weighed in at 41 pounds 8 ounces and was measured 42.75 inches long. It was caught on a Northern King spoon in Chautauqua County waters. Probably Barcelona or Dunkirk Harbors was the launch site.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

I fish off North East pretty much all of the spring season (counting down the days until launch this year!). Action starts when the water hits a uniform 40° and stops around ~52°, which could be anywhere from the third week in May to early or even mid June. Not sure where they go in mid-late June but they’re like ghosts once the water is in the mid fifties and higher (before the thermocline forms).

Anyway, we fish 60-140 FOW between mid April and late May. Spoons, dodgers, flashers, and cowbells within 5’ of the bottom usually produce the most fish, but we’ll take them all through the water column even up to just below the surface at times. Anywhere from 1.5-3.5mph depending on the baits in the water at the time. Riggers produce 80%+ of the fish (so fish your prime baits on them) but divers put in work some days and we’ll get a board take every once in awhile. Feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions about the spring fishery.

Oh yeah, and not to jack the thread, but, to my fellow Erie anglers, do you guys ever catch or target North East Lakers in July-August after the thermocline forms? We got into piles of them last July out of Dunkirk and I know Barcelona has a good summer fishery for them too, but I never hear anything about North East in the summer, which is odd because it’s just as deep and cold of water. Not sure if they all move east to NY waters for more(?) food or if Walleye just overshadow them in PA that time of year. There’s plenty of 39° water below 80’ in July so I’m not sure why no one catches them in PA during that period of time.

2 minutes ago, Char_Master said:

I fish off North East pretty much all of the spring season (counting down the days until launch this year!). Action starts when the water hits a uniform 40° and stops around ~52°, which could be anywhere from the third week in May to early or even mid June. Not sure where they go in mid-late June but they’re like ghosts once the water is in the mid fifties and higher (before the thermocline forms).

Anyway, we fish 60-140 FOW between mid April and late May. Spoons, dodgers, flashers, and cowbells within 5’ of the bottom usually produce the most fish, but we’ll take them all through the water column even up to just below the surface at times. Anywhere from 1.5-3.5mph depending on the baits in the water at the time. Riggers produce 80%+ of the fish (so fish your prime baits on them) but divers put in work some days and we’ll get a board take every once in awhile. Feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions about the spring fishery.

Char Master knows his chit when it comes to fishing Erie for Lakers. and always posts great reports.

6 hours ago, Fishnut said:

Char Master knows his chit when it comes to fishing Erie for Lakers. and always posts great reports.

I appreciate the kind words, Fishnut! There are very few fish that I put more research and investment towards than Lakers, and if I can help put some other guys on them without having to search around offshore for hours, I’ll gladly do so.

5 hours ago, FishinIsLife said:

Thanks for the info Char-Master!

Happy to help!

Lake Erie develops "dead Water Zones" due to low dissolved oxygen levels in warm late summer times. You must fish just above the dead water zone for suspended fish like Lake Trout, Perch and Walleye. Turnovers change these areas. Cold  nights starting in late August flow colder stream flows into the lake bring the fish closer to shore.

1 hour ago, jimski2 said:

Lake Erie develops "dead Water Zones" due to low dissolved oxygen levels in warm late summer times. You must fish just above the dead water zone for suspended fish like Lake Trout, Perch and Walleye. Turnovers change these areas. Cold  nights starting in late August flow colder stream flows into the lake bring the fish closer to shore.

I suppose that’s true. Regardless of temp, if there’s nothing to breath, there won’t be any fish. I know the PFBC nets them around North East in august (though, not as many as NYDEC nets off Dunkirk/Barcelona), so there’s still at least a few in PA. Maybe they are just suspended as high as they need to be for oxygen rich water. That said, I don’t think North East is any different than Dunkirk as far as overall depth/temp, food, or susceptibility to hypoxic zones. So, maybe the bulk of Lakers just move between the two areas in the summer depending on current conditions. That’s my best theory, anyway.

Edited by Char_Master
  • Like 1

Personally I would launch of out Barcelona and head east.  Out into 90-130fow.  Put down some cowbells + peanut flys and glow spoons a few feet off the bottom and you'll be into them in no time.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to but im afraid that I would have to re winterize before I get home. Its been really cold here at night in Elk Co Pa.  I could bring my small boat but id probably get blown off the lake.

I’ll let you guys know if we do any good. Wind looks decent enough, water and air temp is all I’m concerned about. Winter needs to go away for a few months haha.

Edited by Char_Master