Help design a roll-up tarp cover

dt5150

i have an idea for a roll-up/retractable tarp setup for my boat/trailer. i want to make something that i can roll up quickly when i want to uncover it, while also easy to deploy when i cover it up. my idea so far is a tarp (obviously) attached down the center (thinking glued or screwed) to some pvc pipe running the length of the boat, supported on both ends by some sort of posts (either wood or pvc or some other material). i would like be able to somehow crank it from the ground, spinning the pvc pipe, rolling the tarp up onto/around the pvc. i don't know if it would wind up/ roll up or not.. considering the tarp would be winding onto the pipe in 2 different directions while cranking it. i borrowed this pic from todd in ny from another thread (hope you don't mind todd). picture something like this, but with posts on the ends supporting a long length of pvc, with some kind of cranking system to roll the tarp up on the pvc pipe. think something like that is doable?

image.thumb.png.df448dc5d86d91405c42a9ed3d77fc57.png

They sell a roll up setup for pool covers. Kinda like this one. If you google retractable pool covers you'll see all kinds and prices.

https://bestchoiceproducts.com/products/swimming-pool-cover-reel-21-ft-aluminum-inground-solar-cover?gclid=CjwKCAjw75HWBRAwEiwAdzefxO5FaVdQbYMGxxJJyAUjMKPVV6DG9srcjsc-PYcMXeHkblhptXDu2xoC8dAQAvD_BwE

Something like a camper awning, you would need two groves 180* opposite of each other so when you roll it up it would pick the left & right side at the same time and roll the whole thing up in one direction of rotation. Yea I’ll put some thought into this as I’m just about sick of cleaning my covers off on account of the weight. Plus the cost of the tarps. I might be building a garage on account of selling my in laws properties where I have all my tools and ect. But I don’t know if I’ll be able to build one wide enough to fit my boat and trailer, due to township ordnance’s??? Will keep this in mind. Good idea!!!

thanks pap. i was thinking of simply attaching the tarp to one side of the pipe. when rolling it up, it would wind one side in one direction, the other side in the other direction. kind of like an "S". that might be difficult to wind it up like that though, i don't know. 

i want to do this to keep the rain and debris out of there. i have a cover that covers the cockpit area, but the bow is all open (crestliner eagle walk-around cuddy). i get a fair amount of water in the bilge when it rains, i think it comes in through the seams in the bow area. plus it collects leaves and pine needles like crazy. what i really need is a big garage or barn!!

Yea I know what you mean I don’t let my boat in the water for more than 5 days or whatever my stay will be, I take on water also in the rain with the snap on covers?? 

I would maybe rethink the pvc pipe. you get 30 feet of pvc supported on the ends only and it will get pretty flimsy in the middle. I think I would go with conduit about 3".  then you could run the tarp over the pipe and screw down a piece of aluminum strip 1/8" X 3/4" the length of your tarp to hold the tarp to the pipe. you could probably attach a big crank right on to the conduit also, as you will only have to roll it up once a year.

yeah i was wondering about the rigidity of the pvc over that long of a span. might have to use conduit instead.

another thought i had was to ditch the crank up idea and simply attach some conduit or pvc to the bottom edges of the tarp on both sides to keep it rigid and straight. i could then pull the tarp up and over from inside the boat. easy enough and much more simple. i could attach rope to the tubing along the bottom edges if needed to give me something to pull on. then, bungee both bottom edges to the trailer (and around the front and back if need be).

My tarp is actually pretty easy to roll up by hand. I start at the back and fold it forward. That's how I've been able to work on the boat this year. It's a 20x30ft tarp covering my 22ft Crestliner Sabre. The 2x4" frame supports and tarp have held up very well, to include wind storms like the one we had yesterday, with gusts over 50mph, and sustained winds of 25-35 mph all day.

And no, I don't mind you using my pic :yes:

I made 3 stands that support the top 2x4's. I put pool noodles on the ends and joints of the horizontal 2x4's to minimize the tarp rubbing on the corners of the 2x4. This is the only pic I have if the frame. All three supports are made the same way. The two rear supports are 8ft tall, and the bow support is about 5ft tall.

IMG_20171202_195020.thumb.jpg.26cd2b9863e68832f47d58ff596953dd.jpg

If you used schedule 40 pipe that would span the distance, that way you could screw caps on the end or there’s some with a big square on the end like a 2x2” or bigger that maybe you could affix a gear on and a 12 volt tarp motor or winch motor of some sort support the front and rear, maybe center off the boat floor. Done deal