Lake Ontario Bait fish trawls

The N.Y. State DEC vessel SETH GREEN will be running bait bottom trawls out of the Port of Rochester on April 17th. —— April 18th. ——- April 19th. On April 20th it will leave Port of Rochester and finish in Sodus Bay that afternoon.. Then run bottom of lake trawls out of SODUS BAY on April 21st and possibly April 22nd. If anyone is interested ( I HIGHLY RECOMMEND ) on going on board and experience this please contact Mike Connerton or Chris Legard @ 1-315- 654-2147. I will post the Vessel KAHO SCHEDULE shortly. Anybody interested on doing this out west. The KAHO is open to take people out of Olcott Harbor April 11th. Contact Brian Weidel @ 1-607-227-3109 ( leave message as he is most likely making “Alewife moon pies “..........

****schedules are subject to change with this weather****.

Jerry

RUNNIN REBEL

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by RUNNIN REBEL

What is required of the person that goes on the vessel, I’d really like to experience this, but in my shoes I don’t want to be a hindrance. I can do most anything but bending and heavy lifting is out for me!!

Thanks I will contact the correct people to get further info. Thank you very much, one last question, do the do any work on the east side, be closer but I’d be willing to go wherever.??

Bring breakfast for the crew. You will see how many calories get burned off as it is hard work. Bring a camera to take pictures for their presentations to the public. 

Pap and anyone else interested in going out on a bait trawl in the Eastern end of Lake Ontario, The schedule for the N.Y.State DEC Vessel  SETH GREEN is

Sodus Bay is April 21st

Leave Sodus Bay April 22nd in Morning and Dock in  Oswego that afternoon

Port of Oswego April 23 ---April 24th

Contact Mike Connerton or Chris Legard at 1-315-654-2147 to schedule a trip out east.

Also Olcott Harbor in Niagara county out west trawl available on April 11th aboard the KAHO Vessel

Contact Brian Weidel at 1-607-227-3109

Hope this helps

Jerry

RUNNIN REBEL

Edited by RUNNIN REBEL

• 3 weeks later...

Can't comment on the trawl catches till all the data is in, but I do want to apologize to the all the ride - alongs that did not get to go out this year on the Kaho.

It has been (and continues to be) a an incredibly tough year with weather and mechanical issues.  Our crew and administrators have done an amazing job keeping us on the water, but we just couldn't get everything done and accommodate observers. The Lake Erie group was able to send us a substitute engineer to help with our scheduling!

Many years of surveys left (at least from my standpoint) so we'll get everyone out that wants to.

There is a survey in the fall (late Sept, early October) for benthic prey fish (Sculpins, Goby) where we measure Alewife condition, if you're interested pm this account or ask Rebel or Gill-T, lots of folks have my work email.

2 hours ago, schreckstoff said:

Can't comment on the trawl catches till all the data is in, but I do want to apologize to the all the ride - alongs that did not get to go out this year on the Kaho.

It has been (and continues to be) a an incredibly tough year with weather and mechanical issues.  Our crew and administrators have done an amazing job keeping us on the water, but we just couldn't get everything done and accommodate observers. The Lake Erie group was able to send us a substitute engineer to help with our scheduling!

Many years of surveys left (at least from my standpoint) so we'll get everyone out that wants to.

There is a survey in the fall (late Sept, early October) for benthic prey fish (Sculpins, Goby) where we measure Alewife condition, if you're interested pm this account or ask Rebel or Gill-T, lots of folks have my work email.

:yes:

Went out on the Seth Green Yesterday we did 6 - 5 minute trolls netted somewhere around 10,000 bait fish had a GREAT Time very interesting great crew (they really care about the fishery and the lake, along with all of us Anglers)