flares

I had to replace my flares again. The three year expiration date is up.

I decided to to some price comparison checking   Cabela , West Marine , Bass pro, and Walmart.

At walmart the set of handheld Orion flares is $24,98 , the other stores charge between $34 and $38.

The flares you can shoot from a flare pistol  are $19.93 at Walmart and at least $10 dollars more in the other stores.

So the 2 packages totalled $45 at Wallmart. In one of the above mentioned stores these 2 products sold for $80.

I do not like shopping in Walmart, but I hate getting ripped of at stores that have the word sport or boat in their name.

Edited by rolmops
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, rolmops said:

I decided to to some price comparison checking   Cabela , West Marine , Bass pro, and Walmart.

At walmart the set of handheld Orion flares is $24,98 , the other stores charge between $34 and $38.

The flares you can shoot from a flare pistol  are $19.93 at Walmart and at least $10 dollars more in the other stores.

So the 2 packages totalled $45 at Wallmart. In one of the above mentioned stores these 2 products sold for $80.

I do not like shopping in Walmart, but I hate getting ripped of at stores that have the word sport or boat in their name.

Mine also expired. Did the same thing. Question is do you know how to dispose of them 

At Runnings an hour ago the 4 cartriges for the gun were over $30. while as you say Wallmart $20. You need to look closely at the Expiration date too as some of them are 2020 so only 2 years left.The dates are on the flares themselves (not the package) and need to be positioned just right n the package to see properly.

Need one of these, no more flares needed, no more expiration. Got mine for $69 shipped

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

That object brings up a question in my mind that has been there for awhile. I am wondering if many people these days actually know and recognize the SOS signal when it is displayed.

Here is a pretty good example to look at: http://www.askaprepper.com/10-ways-signal-sos/

Edited by Sk8man

It is not so true that outdated flares work. After 5 years they often have to be ignited by open flame and even then I have had some of them fizzle out. I now have a policy of using them for fireworks while they still work.

As for the electric SOS beacon, you cannot shoot it very high into the sky, on the other hand it will work a lot longer than flares do.

It is not so true that outdated flares work. After 5 years they often have to be ignited by open flame and even then I have had some of them fizzle out. I now have a policy of using them for fireworks while they still work.
As for the electric SOS beacon, you cannot shoot it very high into the sky, on the other hand it will work a lot longer than flares do.
The Led flares will go about as high as a hand flare which is all that is required. Not everyone has a flare gun. Except 3min burn time. VS 20+ hours.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Let us just hope that we never have to find out if they work when needed. I would much rather buy new ones every three years and replace them when their time comes.

But I have seen them used once. The flare gun ones. It was pouring rain and the in the waves the hand held ones would have been invisible. That little episode ended in me towing in a 22 footer rag boat with a broken line that made it impossible to keep the sail up and a seriously upset and seasick wife on board. I believe that the guy could have handled the boat, as for the wife, I did prefer not to inquire.

Edited by rolmops

not sure but some stuff is coast guard approved but you need hand held flairs to be approved in New  York State it is different than coast guard approved
Cause New York State knows more than Coast guard. Read the federal regs. I doubt new your state has additional, but could be wrong. This replaces hand held flares. But I will never be in New York so I'm safe. I would rather pay for new batteries rather than trust a 3 min. Flare. That expires every 3 years. But each to his own.

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Try testing your old flares. I found they would not open up where you twist the end cap. Do not depend on the hand held flares if you can not open them up.  Why they are approved is dangerous.

12 hours ago, emtystringer said:

not sure but some stuff is coast guard approved but you need hand held flairs to be approved in New  York State it is different than coast guard approved

Was just reviewing this last night for the upcoming season.  Below is taken from the New York State Boaters guide handbook.

My read is that an "approved" electric distress light device is now acceptable for night time.

"Most boats can meet this requirement by simply carrying three USCG approved day/night hand held flares. You may also carry any combination of three-day and three night-approved pyrotechnic de- vices. Non-pyrotechnic options include an approved electric distress light (for night) or an orange distress flag (for day). Whichever you choose, all devices must be in serviceable condition and readily accessible.  For pyrotechnics, the expiration date, as printed on the de- vice, must not have lapsed. When buying pyrotechnic visual distress equipment always look for the freshest devices possible, those with at least three years of service life would be the newest."

The State guidelines do not state who the device must be approved by. Maybe the Coast Guard ;)

I use the old ones to start bonfires we have. Also I have handed them to my wife and had her start them by herself so she knows how to do that. She is the one that is out with me most often and if I didn't show/teach her these things when things are calm then she may panic when things go bad and if something happened to me.