flares

These are the federal rules:

The following vessels are not required to carry day signals, but must carry night signals when operating from sunset to sunrise:    
•    Recreational boats less than 16 feet in length .Boats participating in organized events,such as races, regattas, or marine parades .    • Open  sailboats less than 26 feet in length    that are not equipped  with propulsion machinery .    • Manually  propelled boats .

Edited by rolmops

One word of caution re: 12 gage flares and launcher They are considered a weapon in Canadian waters and are illegal. If you plan on fishing Canadian waters , leave the flare gun at the dock

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Was just reviewing this last night for the upcoming season.  Below is taken from the New York State Boaters guide handbook.

My read is that an "approved" electric distress light device is now acceptable for night time.

"Most boats can meet this requirement by simply carrying three USCG approved day/night hand held flares. You may also carry any combination of three-day and three night-approved pyrotechnic de- vices. Non-pyrotechnic options include an approved electric distress light (for night) or an orange distress flag (for day). Whichever you choose, all devices must be in serviceable condition and readily accessible.  For pyrotechnics, the expiration date, as printed on the de- vice, must not have lapsed. When buying pyrotechnic visual distress equipment always look for the freshest devices possible, those with at least three years of service life would be the newest."

The State guidelines do not state who the device must be approved by. Maybe the Coast Guard [emoji6]

That’s NY ‘s requirements , which are different than federal requirements. Both must be observed in NY waters the DEC will use NY requirements , the CG will follow federal laws

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On April 6, 2018 at 6:30 PM, chinook35 said:

That’s NY ‘s requirements , which are different than federal requirements. Both must be observed in NY waters the DEC will use NY requirements , the CG will follow federal laws

Yes that is correct.

We keep the traditional flares on the boat as well as an SOS flag. This year we have added ACR beacon as well.   

Edited by rookie fisherman

I just have the electronic version, says it meets all the requirements, so hopefully it does. 

The electronic devices meet nighttime requirements ONLY. You still need daytime signaling devices on board during daylight operation CG regulations state “ 1 handheld orange smoke device and 2 floating orange smoke devices in addition to the electronic signaling device Check out uscgboating.org

On 4/10/2018 at 10:27 PM, chinook35 said:

The electronic devices meet nighttime requirements ONLY. You still need daytime signaling devices on board during daylight operation CG regulations state “ 1 handheld orange smoke device and 2 floating orange smoke devices in addition to the electronic signaling device Check out uscgboating.org

yes my kit came with a daytime signal, a flag as I recall. I will check when I open the boat. 

Be aware, in NY at least, if you carry both expired flares and newly dated flares, you are in violation. Just carrying the expired flares has issues if the law man decides to bust your stones for any other reason. 

5 minutes ago, superhawk18 said:

Be aware, in NY at least, if you carry both expired flares and newly dated flares, you are in violation. Just carrying the expired flares has issues if the law man decides to bust your stones for any other reason. 

This is untrue. The CG encourages you to carry expired flares along with current unexpired flares 

I was told by the Auxiliary Coast Guard that they don't want you to keep the old ones because if needed in a panic you could grab the old ones & they might not work in an emergency & could lose valuable time.   I do keep the old but in a different spot & would grab the newest ones first. I do test some of the oldest ones every year & have not had any fail yet. Some date back to 1998. keep them hi& dry!