Waves Up To 26ft Today

From the NOAA web site;

REST OF TODAY  Southwest winds to 30 knots becoming west and  increasing to 45 knot gales this afternoon. A chance of rain  showers, then a chance of rain and snow showers late. Waves 4 to  7 feet building to 15 to 20 feet. Waves occasionally around  26 feet.

Cancelled my trip to the Finger Lakes tribs today, this is the kind of wind that gives meaning to the term widow makers!  I feel bad for all the folks at the east end of the Lake, but grateful the wind is not coming the east and knocking my trees over onto the house!

Edited by Lucky13

2 hours ago, Lucky13 said:

Cancelled my trip to the Finger Lakes tribs today, this is the kind of wind that gives meaning to the term widow makers!  I feel bad for all the folks at the east end of the Lake, but grateful the wind is not coming the east and knocking my trees over onto the house!

I hit the tribs today and it was really good fishing but before most of the wind came. I did get soaked however

That's just insane. The waves look like they're standing in place, it's as if the wind has lined them up and just pressed them against the pier, with nowhere to go. 

Figures we are headed to Oak Orchard tomorrow night for our annual fishing weekend. I hope the river isn’t blown out maybe we can troll the river for Browns. Hopefully it lays down for Saturday enough to troll the lake for Browns!!! [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Figures we are headed to Oak Orchard tomorrow night for our annual fishing weekend. I hope the river isn’t blown out maybe we can troll the river for Browns. Hopefully it lays down for Saturday enough to troll the lake for Browns!!! [emoji848]

Wish you luck...it's gnarly today thru tomorrow last I looked. im on a erie page too and the ice boom has ice flowing over the top down the river some people actually reporting that looks like the boom may have broke.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

This is going to suck in many ways other than erosion and flooding. This churned up mud and silt will settle down on the walleye eggs that got spawned. Their eggs the silt will settle down on the eggs and smother them, they will not survive. The worst nightmare for the western basin of Lake Erie is a big blow, and that class year of the young are nonexistent, this creates a big hole in the size fish caught in the next several years to come. We are finally get a grip on the eastern walleye population, hopefully many females didn’t find the right temps in either the streams or the bays of the north shores on LadyO.!! Let’s all hope this doesn’t happen, but I see on the web cams the games have begun!! :(

Edited by pap
  • Like 1

This is going to suck in many ways other than erosion and flooding. This churned up mud and silt will settle down on the walleye eggs that got spawned. Their eggs the silt will settle down on the eggs and smother them, they will not survive. The worst nightmare for the western basin of Lake Erie is a big blow, and that class year of the young are nonexistent, this creates a big hole in the size fish caught in the next several years to come. We are finally get a grip on the eastern walleye population, hopefully many females didn’t find the right temps in either the streams or the bays of the north shores on LadyO.!! Let’s all hope this doesn’t happen, but I see on the web cams the games have begun!! [emoji20]
I have been watching a bunch of lake Eire eye sights and most have said they are just starting to see them in the rivers so hopefully the run goes full swing after the blow.

1 minute ago, stoneam2006 said:

I have been watching a bunch of lake Eire eye sights and most have said they are just starting to see them in the rivers so hopefully the run goes full swing after the blow.

For LakeO also??

I live on upper Niagara river. Never seen so much ice in river with boom still in. Feel like there can’t be much ice left out on Lake Erie. Had some bad tree damage today. Hope you all came out OK from this wind storm.

I know the pike were running in the streams as of last week, I always thought the eyes were right behind them, but don’t bank on my knowledge.  :lol:

• Like 1

The bigger threat to the walleye spawn success is the unharvested perch that

thrive on the walleye fry and fingerlings. To properly manage the stewardship of our fishery is a balance of the harvest numbers. The worship of large walleyes as the preferred target results in mismanagement of our fishery.

Most of the Canadian lakes have slot limits 18-24, so I would think that those younger fish must be better for reproduction?? I’m far from a biologist, but there must be a reason for there madness!! Also those Canadian lakes are loaded with perch and of course their own fry and things seem to average out. What the Canadian lakes don’t have is gobies and humans fishing for eyes through the ice. I saw countless females laying on the ice?? And I know the few ruin the picture for the majority. Most guys will send the fat girls back, knowing they weigh 8#’s for a reason. 

2 hours ago, jimski2 said:

The bigger threat to the walleye spawn success is the unharvested perch that

thrive on the walleye fry and fingerlings. To properly manage the stewardship of our fishery is a balance of the harvest numbers. The worship of large walleyes as the preferred target results in mismanagement of our fishery.

Why are you always such a downer? Seriously....

Your post is also not truthful - show me the science

• Like 1