Using IO in the cold

The only thing I was worried about is from the pump up in the copper tube from the pump to the power steering cooler, I always get a lot of water out of there, I think that’s were the water come out because there is a slot in the pumps face plate where the water gets pumped to the water inlet in the gimbal housing that area is level, unless when the lower unit is lowered it acts like a siphon? Also the water from the inlet side of the motor, is a power steering cooler,( on mine) I can’t remember if that the main water line to the engine water pump, which is in the engine box now. This is for a Gen1 GM mercrusiser pre 91. I’ve never had issues with the lower unit it’s always been from the inside of the transom that I’ve had issues that won’t drain on its own. I think I would get a hold of hank on here before you do something you might regret in the long run. This is why I’m so done with the I/O’s

I don't know if water drains from the out drive when you pull it from the water. I always waited to launch my I/O until the hard freeze nights were over. That's why I sold my I/O boat last fall and went back to an outboard.

i'm interested in this as well. this season will be my first with an i/o in early spring. always had outboards before. we're still getting temps in the high teens, low to mid 20s at night. 40's for highs during the day. i haven't unwrapped mine yet since the lake is still iced over, but once it's open i want to get out there as soon as i can.

is there a night time temp. range we should wait for? right now i think it's too cold at night.. 18-20 degrees... i can see bad things happening.

I was told that you are probably ok if it doesn't drop below 30 at night, then warmer during the day. But if it doesn't get much above freezing during the day, you might be taking a slight chance for problems.

On 4/5/2018 at 12:36 PM, Chinook Chaser said:

Yah think i wanna find islander with outboard

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

There is a current thread discussing transom replacement. The guy who started it is replacing the transom on his 22 foot outboard Islander , because he wants to put it up for sale.