Trees with pullys at top

So really starting to think about the planer reel set up. See some have the pullys and reels mounted right to the trees.

How is the force on the trees from the boards.

Any downfalls

Considering going this route to maintain my ability to walk up front of boat without having to Dodge planer line.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I had to use a cross bar to stabilize my planer reels I put gunnel stiffeners in and they still flexed so I made a cross bar on the top of them now they fight each other and I have no movement on my gunnels.

• Like 1

I built a pair of masts over the winter that double as trees by attaching Scotty rocket launchers. Making the Mast from 1 inch aluminum round lets you attach rail mount bases to the upright. I used Cisco reels and pulleys so it was not inexpensive. I made mine tall enough so you can attach the tow lines together and hang your inline planer boards to keep them off the deck when not in use
IMG_2286.JPG
IMG_2287.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I built a pair of masts over the winter that double as trees by attaching Scotty rocket launchers. Making the Mast from 1 inch aluminum round lets you attach rail mount bases to the upright. I used Cisco reels and pulleys so it was not inexpensive. I made mine tall enough so you can attach the tow lines together and hang your inline planer boards to keep them off the deck when not in use
IMG_2286.thumb.JPG.d01038b23b18cc4fd5a67be54a7d5cf7.JPG
IMG_2287.thumb.JPG.3220e819e708fa0ef1e3a662af030f1d.JPG

Looks real good. What boards are you planning on running with the reels?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Homemade boards. I’ve been running big boards for years and wanted taller masts so I built these and added the ability for the Mast to be a tree. My kids want to run little boards so I obliged but wanted to keep the flexibility to use big boards which I prefer

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dgfidler said:

Homemade boards. I’ve been running big boards for years and wanted taller masts so I built these and added the ability for the Mast to be a tree. My kids want to run little boards so I obliged but wanted to keep the flexibility to use big boards which I prefer

I really like the design. Do they fold down??

Im looking at some Cisco planer reels and pulleys for my boat.  Im scared to mount them to the grab rails on my hard top, let alone on a rod tree attached to the gunnel.  You guys are very brave.  Im looking into mounting my pulleys onto some outrigger mounts that I need to install on the hardtop.  I keep being told these boards pull HARD.  then hard 6-8 copper rods to the setup and it gets worse

Edited by jigstick

IMG_2346.PNG
Mine are mounted to my grab rails on the side of my hardtop and the pulleys are mounted to my guid rails out front of the windshield. There about 6- 1/5 feet above the water line. They pull out nice.
Not the greatest picture but it’s the only one I have until I get the boat out. Lol.

• Like 1

That’s my boat dude. Mine is the 2252 version. . Not to hijack the thread, but do you feel your grab rails are withstanding the stress?  And who made your rocket launcher?

• Like 1

There isn’t all that much stress. If your worried about put snubbers on your boards. I use Amish boards. There only about 15 inches long and 10 inches wide. They pull hard enough to pull 2 10 colors and a 7 color on each side.

The rocket launcher was on the boat when I bought it.