Inline Fuse Between Battery & Fuse Block???

Todd in NY

I bought two new Blue Seas grounded fuse blocks and the wiring instructions call for a fuse between the battery and the fuse block, up to 125 amps!

IMG_20180406_155749.thumb.jpg.19575bda7e2a1142a2bef4d2ef343c1b.jpg

Does anyone actually do this? If so, I think 60 amps would be enough for my system, running 2 fish finder/GPS units, a Sub Troll and a VHF marine radio. I use manual riggers and I have no FM radio for music.

I've never seen it on any of the boats I've owned or been on. My two batteries are wired to the Perko battery switch, then to the fuse blocks. This is the rear fuse block in the pic. The other fuse block is the same one, but it's at the helm.

IMG_20180403_184129832.thumb.jpg.963df6b620fe271b889a6cd8a3a5cf82.jpg

As Shawn said that is the correct way of doing it , anything coming off the battery should be fused at the battery, amperage depending on load. In your case 40a should be more than sufficient. 

Thanks Shawn! I wonder if those bigger fuses are for the 24v and 36v systems, or much bigger boats with AC/DC systems. Mine is strictly 12v DC.

Should I run one 60 amp inline fuse between my battery and battery switch and call it good enough? I have 2 fuse blocks and a 6 circuit rocker switch panel.

1 minute ago, L&M said:

As Shawn said that is the correct way of doing it , anything coming off the battery should be fused at the battery, amperage depending on load. In your case 40a should be more than sufficient. 

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, Todd in NY said:

Should I run one 60 amp inline fuse between my battery and battery switch and call it good enough? I have 2 fuse blocks and a 6 circuit rocker switch panel.

If your running your power to the fuse block thu your battery switch to kill it when you shut the switch down you would want to pick up your 12v power at the "on" side of the battery switch and fuse it there. 

6 hours ago, L&M said:

If your running your power to the fuse block thu your battery switch to kill it when you shut the switch down you would want to pick up your 12v power at the "on" side of the battery switch and fuse it there. 

Ok, thanks for the clarification on that!

I don't slip my boat, so I like to use the Perko switch to turn everything off when it's on the trailer.

Edited by Todd in NY

15 minutes ago, L&M said:

What gauge wire should I run from the inline fuse to the helm fuse block?

That would be all well & good Jim if he was running equipment that would require a 40a run, but as you can see above what he is using this run for barley maxes out at a 15 amp draw & that's including the max draw of the vhs if it were transmitting on high power, hence the 10 gauge for that short of a distance and draw. I should of included a 20 amp fuse to clarify it.