Talk me out of buying this sweet boat

jigstick

Im always looking to upgrade my boat.  not that I "have" to.  But I'm always looking for a sweet deal.  Well I came across this bad boy and I'm having a hard time talking myself out of it.  If those were 4 strokes id be flying down to drive it home already.  Talked to the owner today about it.

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa/d/2002-hydra-sports-2600-wa/6542099909.html

Edited by jigstick
  • Like 1

Im always looking to upgrade my boat.  not that I "have" to.  But I'm always looking for a sweet deal.  Well I came across this bad boy and I'm having a hard time talking myself out of it.  If those were 4 strokes id be flying down to drive it home already.  Talked to the owner today about it.

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa/d/2002-hydra-sports-2600-wa/6542099909.html

If you do happen to head down to buy it and need a trailer, give Ace trailers in Gibsonton a call.
Bought one of Terry’s trailers 5 years ago when I bought a 22’Mako and brought it back. Beautiful aluminum trailer. Can’t go wrong. 45 minutes drive from Largo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Thanks for the heads up on the trailer.  I never understood the bad mojo a lot of great lakes guys have against buying boats that saw some saltwater.  Engines need a little more maintenance.  But theres plenty of nice salt boats out there that are in great shape.

If I can get 1-2yrs from those 2 strokes that would be fine.  The plan would be to repower with twin 200hp 4 strokes in a year or two

Edited by jigstick

Thanks for the heads up on the trailer.  I never understood the bad mojo a lot of great lakes guys have against buying boats that saw some saltwater.  Engines need a little more maintenance.  But theres plenty of nice salt boats out there that are in great shape.

My Mako was saltwater. I take it back every year. Nothing like saltwater fishing. Flush everything every time you take it out of the water. I had to put a bottom end on my 200 because the oil leaked out and water got in before I bought it. Have added a couple of early Digitrols and a Big Jon mast. Next is a Lowrance cable auto pilot and new HDS7 Gen3. Can’t wait for this freakin weather to flock off so I can check some beatings, add the 7 and steer system and head down to Bog O.

My Mako was saltwater. I take it back every year. Nothing like saltwater fishing. Flush everything every time you take it out of the water. I had to put a bottom end on my 200 because the oil leaked out and water got in before I bought it. Have added a couple of early Digitrols and a Big Jon mast. Next is a Lowrance cable auto pilot and new HDS7 Gen3. Can’t wait for this freakin weather to flock off so I can check some beatings, add the 7 and steer system and head down to Bog O.

I already had an F-250 King Ranch. Hope you have something similar if you pull the trigger.

700 hundred hours of engine time in salt water means that salt cooling water has run through the engines for 700 hours. This would not be a big deal if the boat was pulled out of the water after every trip. In this case I doubt very much that this was done. Mostly because the boat does not have a trailer. That probably means that the boat was kept in a slip in salt water for months at a time.

Electrolysis between salt, stainless steel bolts and aluminum tends to weld the stainless bolts to the aluminum of the engines and it also promotes corrosion. In this case, with the AC hookup it was probably worse. Bolts that are welded in that way break. Servicing those engines will be quite the challenge.

That it my 2 cents.

Edited by rolmops

700 hundred hours of engine time in salt water means that salt cooling water has run through the engines for 700 hours. This would not be a big deal if the boat was pulled out of the water after every trip. In this case I doubt very much that this was done. Mostly because the boat does not have a trailer. That probably means that the boat was kept in a slip in salt water for months at a time.
Electrolysis between salt, stainless steel bolts and aluminum tends to weld the stainless bolts to the aluminum of the engines and it also promotes corrosion. In this case, with the AC hookup it was probably worse. Bolts that are welded in that way break.
That it my 2 cents.

Because waterfront property is so expensive a lot off marinas rack their boats in vertical racks. The marina my boat came out off , their fork lift could move a 60’boat. Most marinas I have scene use this system.

1 minute ago, BC FD said:

Because waterfront property is so expensive a lot off marinas rack their boats in vertical racks. The marina my boat came out off , their fork lift could move a 60’boat. Most marinas I have scene use this system.

After every trip or once a season?

The owner told me the boat was rack kept.  Ill call him back and ask him if they kept it racked and pulled it down only when he wanted to use it.  But I got that impression from him.  he said both motors had their lower ends rebuilt last year.

Leaving the engines aside, as I plan on replacing them with 4 strokes within a year or two, what else would salt water do to the hull that would "ruin" it?  Ive seen 40yr old fiberglass boats running around in Ontario.  Im finding it very hard to believe that a 2002 with a kevlar reinforced hull is going to be scrap because it was used in salt water

Edited by jigstick

After every trip or once a season?

Every trip. There is usually limited docking at these marinas. Couple of docks and a fuel dock.

Every trip. There is usually limited docking at these marinas. Couple of docks and a fuel dock.

The fork lifts at these places are very impressive.

13 minutes ago, jigstick said:

The owner told me the boat was rack kept.  Ill call him back and ask him if they kept it racked and pulled it down only when he wanted to use it.  But I got that impression from him.  he said both motors had their lower ends rebuilt last year.

Leaving the engines aside, as I plan on replacing them with 4 strokes within a year or two, what else would salt water do to the hull that would "ruin" it?  Ive seen 40yr old fiberglass boats running around in Ontario.  Im finding it very hard to believe that a 2002 with a kevlar reinforced hull is going to be scrap because it was used in salt water

The boat itself would have some salt damage , like pitted chrome and corroded wiring. The structure  would not have suffered . However I would check the boat for fork lift damage. The lower ends being rebuilt tell me that they were in the brine for longer periods of time. Eve3n when the engines are flushed on the inside, the outside is often not properly washed and being in a rack very close to salt water means that the boat is still exposed to the salty humid seabreezes

Edited by rolmops

If that is done and the engines are properly flushed with fresh water every time the salt damage is much less. I would check the boat for fork lift damage

These guys move dozens of boats on some days. In Riviera Beach where my boat was stored, there were million dollar boats in the racks. I don’t think operators would have jobs very long if they damaged boats.
The lift operators were in uniforms as well.

That guys on crack, 175 thousand?? No matter how you slice & dice the figures there's no 89 even worth $17,500?? In my book anyway.... :shake:

That guys on crack, 175 thousand?? No matter how you slice & dice the figures there's no 89 even worth $17,500?? In my book anyway.... :shake:

At the bottom says $17000.
Might be a mistake up top.

The guy got back to me. It was rack stored. Fork lifted down when he wanted to use it. Then put back in the rack at the end of the day. 

Now I have to figure out if these two strokes can troll and not be a huge headache. 

Edited by jigstick