45-70

So I'm going to most likely be buying a 45-70 at the end of this week... I want a big gun that I can use in the southern tier where I can have 150 yard shots one second and then 20 yard shots in super thick brush... and I mean super thick! From what ive read these people that talk about a 45-70 being super overkill have never killed a deer with one... So, with that being said, can people who have shot a deer with a 45-70 give me some input? Also, where I will be hunting I can only shoot bucks and per land owner requests only decent sized bucks so this will not be for filling the freezer

• Like 1

So I'm going to most likely be buying a 45-70 at the end of this week... I want a big gun that I can use in the southern tier where I can have 150 yard shots one second and then 20 yard shots in super thick brush... and I mean super thick! From what ive read these people that talk about a 45-70 being super overkill have never killed a deer with one... So, with that being said, can people who have shot a deer with a 45-70 give me some input? Also, where I will be hunting I can only shoot bucks and per land owner requests only decent sized bucks so this will not be for filling the freezer
Buddy kills a few yearly with his ,45/70 he does reload and shoot mainly his loads out of everything so I assume hunts with his loads as well but I have seen pics and deer in person never any damage I would consider overkill. They do leave a nice blood trail tho that is if they even take a step after impact. Have shot his many times and is on my list for the next rifle I buy. Seeet rounds.

Word of advice tho don't shoot a fox and then call friend who traps to see if he will skin it...the anwser will be no lol.

Going with a lever action ?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

7 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

Buddy kills a few yearly with his ,45/70 he does reload and shoot mainly his loads out of everything so I assume hunts with his loads as well but I have seen pics and deer in person never any damage I would consider overkill. They do leave a nice blood trail tho that is if they even take a step after impact. Have shot his many times and is on my list for the next rifle I buy. Seeet rounds.

Word of advice tho don't shoot a fox and then call friend who traps to see if he will skin it...the anwser will be no lol.

Going with a lever action ?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

For sure lever action! I was between a henry and a marlin... In the I'm going with marlin because the fact that its side loading. The tube mag on the henry is a major turn off... So I'm going with a marlin 1895 with the big loop and a 18.5" barrel

• Like 1

And thanks for reply... All the people that say its overkill have no problem using ounce and a half slugs and none have actually shot a deer or seen one shot with a 45-70

• Like 1

My uncle having a 45/70 for 30-40 years has killed more deer in the scrub oaks we hunt up on the mountain then anyone else I know, I shot 3 times at a nice buck down at the valley of hypsy valley and it never even twitched it’s ears, Dave came over to see how many I had laying :lol: yea right I said so he took the shot. Bingo is down 1 shot, my 300 H&H wouldn’t go threw that red brush. Second it doesn’t make for red jelly either when Dave shoot one no matter where the bullet hits, not like the 300’s and 7mm mags even that souped up 243. Someone stole his gun right out of his truck parked in his driveway with a dusk to dawn light right above his truck. :envy::bandit: 

Wow, that thing must kick like a mule.  It sounds like a really nice gun.   So is this so you can shoot through really thick stuff or so hopefully there is more blood when tracking through thick stuff?

A relatively light 45-70  lever has pretty serious recoil. IMHO the recoil will in all likelihood be a significant factor in making a predictable 75+ yard shots unless you put in some range time adjusting your mental game with that combo.

Nothing like back straps cooking in oil and 1/2 can of beer and a whole onion sliced so you get nice size rings!! Now my friend your eating like a King!! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Landshark said:

Wow, that thing must kick like a mule.  It sounds like a really nice gun.   So is this so you can shoot through really thick stuff or so hopefully there is more blood when tracking through thick stuff?

Its for getting through the really thick stuff... And when you hit one with it from what ive read they don't go far

4 hours ago, chowder said:

A relatively light 45-70  lever has pretty serious recoil. IMHO the recoil will in all likelihood be a significant factor in making a predictable 75+ yard shots unless you put in some range time adjusting your mental game with that combo.

I'm 6ft 250 lbs... I love guns with recoil! My buddy had a box of 3 and a half inch magnums he didn't want so I just want out and shot them for fun! But with that being said I will be putting a recoil pad on it

Recoil is slight less than a 12 gauge 2 3/4" slug.  The beauty of a lever gun is how quickly they mount and point.  Having a sticky recoil pad may inhibit mounting speed.  Plus, you probably will not be doing a ton of shooting with the gun because THE AMMO AINT CHEAP!

1 hour ago, Landshark said:

I spend a lot of time in the woods I just can't see a scenario where I would need to shoot through something so thick.  Unless, it was for safety in Alaska.   

2nd that. I spend a lot of time in the woods with my sons and no deer in the world would entice me to shoot through heavy brush. Remember the golden rule of firearms safety 'Know your target and what's behind it'. I'm 6' 2" 220 and uh not for nothing but I couldn't even begin to count the number of deer I've killed with a .243. I do have a 30-30 lever but I don't hunt with it much outside of a little drive hunting here and there just for the simple fact that I've shot some of my best bucks walking out of the woods at dusk at ranges I'd never trust a lever to make a responsible, clean kill. Just food for thought.

It not like I'm shooting at motion... Its a stand that's in a swamp with a bunch of scrub brush and bushes. The shots will be down towards the ground and if not I have a hill as a back stop

From what I've read on brush guns there is actually no such thing. Tradition has it that the larger, heavier, slower calibers are better brush guns but from some articles I have read (where they have done tests) this is somewhat of a fallacy. Brush can deflect them all. That said, I've shot a bunch of deer with muzzleloaders and 3030 and they do a good job but so does a .270, .243 and 3006 which I also use. I don't shoot through brush and in my opinion shot placement is everything.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1