Ok dog owners I'm looking at the idea of staying on boat a few weekends this year in different parts with the family. I'd like to entertain the idea of taking my dogs as apposed to kenneling them. But have concerns

how long do you typically stay out with pet on board. I'd like to be able to stay out at least morning till lunch then eat and stuff then afternoon...

How about if you go swimming how do they get back in boat? Any idea...

Any other concerns I should think/prepare for

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Your free time will be filled with angst about the dogs. Kennel them IMO and enjoy the family time. My dog got into a dead Seagull and contracted Coccidiosis. The weekend turned into an emergency trip to the vet and a nice bill. 

• Like 1

Imo the digs are part of the family.  For the price of kenneling them you can buy a nice dog ramp made for the boat.  As for the rest, you will figure it out.  Get the dogs life jackets and at the end of the trip ypu will be happy you had your dogs with ya, unless you let them eat a seagull. Lol

Edited by Landshark
  • Like 1

I love having my dog on board.   I'm not sure what ya have for a boat but obviously the more you have the dog aboard. The more use to it the dog gets, you won't have to worry again and it will save you coin in the long run.

Screenshot_20180409-124353~2.png

I say take the dog for a half day trip somewhere BEFORE you have a long boating vacation planned. After a 4 hour trip you'll know weather dog can handle it and weather they cant. And you'll know if you want to be in the boat with the dog that long or not. Some dogs can handle boat time just fine and some cant. It all depends on your dog.

My main concerns if you do take the dog are the heat and amount of sun they would get exposed to in a boat. Its not a great environment for them to be in if you don't have shade for them to be in, especially flat days mid-summer when the water is like a frying pan. Things to consider. FYI getting a dogs back wet (aka swimming) and then letting them sit in the sun isn't a means of cooling them off either, eventually the water just warms up and they're right back to being too hot.

I take mine with me on short trips, but if I'm going to be on the water all day I leave him home.

Edited by WoodieBoater

I say take the dog for a half day trip somewhere BEFORE you have a long boating vacation planned. After a 4 hour trip you'll know weather dog can handle it and weather they cant. And you'll know if you want to be in the boat with the dog that long or not. Some dogs can handle boat time just fine and some cant. It all depends on your dog.

My main concerns if you do take the dog are the heat and amount of sun they would get exposed to in a boat. Its not a great environment for them to be in if you don't have shade for them to be in, especially flat days mid-summer when the water is like a frying pan. Things to consider. FYI getting a dogs back wet (aka swimming) and then letting them sit in the sun isn't a means of cooling them off either, eventually the water just warms up and they're right back to being too hot.

I take mine with me on short trips, but if I'm going to be on the water all day I leave him home.
Absolutely will do a trial run before anything. Only downfall is it's a hr drive for me to launch boat anywhere. Boat is a full cuddy hard top so shade and cooling should not be issue along with wash down I know I could keep them cool. Something the wife has brought up is bringing the dog and I just don't know how or what to think about it.

Appreciate all the imput so far I'd love to take them but don't want then to be more of a pain lol...and ones only 5 months old lol

Pic of my hounds just for fun20180318_085432.jpg

the other thing you can try is getting them tired out before you get in the boat. hard to do I know, but if you can get them a nice long run or some water retrieves to burn off energy they'll be a lot more well behaved in the boat (and by that I mean hopefully passed out in the cuddy). A tired dog is a good dog. Let us know how it goes

100266.thumb.jpeg.0f17fcb9dc0de122a3a78a9214fbbec8.jpeg

100264.thumb.jpeg.ce346ffab1863de09db9070eb5458338.jpeg

I waited to respond because I'm negative on this one.  My experience with dogs and fishing is that dogs are magnets for hooks, so make sure you have some 50 lb along and know the pinch and pull removal method, because Phideaux will not look good or be happy sporting an NK under his arm!  I am a firm believer in Murphy's Law, if something bad can happen, it will, and not when you expect it or are prepared, it will likely be when you have a big king flopping on the floor, and the dog thinks it just wants to play! 

• Like 1

I waited to respond because I'm negative on this one.  My experience with dogs and fishing is that dogs are magnets for hooks, so make sure you have some 50 lb along and know the pinch and pull removal method, because Phideaux will not look good or be happy sporting an NK under his arm!  I am a firm believer in Murphy's Law, if something bad can happen, it will, and not when you expect it or are prepared, it will likely be when you have a big king flopping on the floor, and the dog thinks it just wants to play! 
Thanks for reply hooks are definitely a issue on my mind

Don't matter what boat , or water , be it canoe , bass or out on Ontario . Mines almost always with me . Although he is very trained and obedient!  On hot days he will cuddle up on the floor of the cuddy where I have a fan going . Or he gets hit with the wash down . Make sure they have a way to drink ! . Mine wears a life jacket that has a pick up loop on the back and I tie him off to the boat with a 20' section of rope . So in the chance he ever found himself over I could reel him in . . Mines a great fishing companion , just hangs out and takes in the scenery . And he knows when action is happening to stay out of the way . Of course If your dog is hyper and won't listen I can see it being a miserable PITA

IMG_1428.JPG

IMG_1502.JPG

• Like 1

Can he run 3 more rods:lol: my beagle goes with on the boat, at the local lakes. I haven’t had to take him to NY but if I had to he’d go along. He’s great company, never argues which lures to run, although he didn’t like the depth I was running and lifted my rigger up )25’ LOL 

13 hours ago, NymphO said:

Has anyone taught their dogs to bark when there is marks on the graph ??

Sent from my XT1650 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

knew a guy a while back that had a pair of miniature Dobermans.  They would watch the riggers like a hawk and bark if one popped.  I always thought that was great.

on the down side I know a guy through work that (as I'm told) took his lab out night fishing.  The lab proceeded to knock over the lantern, breaking the glass and starting a small fire which was put out but not before the lab cut his feet on the glass with rods & gear getting tossed about in the carnage.

I could see my lab turning it into a mess before she even got out of the harbor. 

If the dogs go with you remember the hot floor of the boat and that they aren't wearing sneakers:)

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

my dog loved the boat. i hook the boat up the night before going the next day he be trying to jump in the truck thinking he was going to left behind . our dog was family to us . yes it more of a task to having him with us.its a pain watching out for his safety and well being but i think it worth it . just don't do what i did . i went out of west port bay. went out in the lake and had  a great fishing morning was back in by 11:00 . when i got to the dock my dog yank the leash out my hand and took of down the shore line interrupting all the mamas fishing . son of gun even sold a sunny din't think either one of us was going to make out alive .. i ended up giving up my three kings i keep to make amends with the mamas . got the dog and boat loaded and got the heck out of there ........my bad .

• Like 1

It really depends on each individual dog. My Corgi is awesome on the boat and stays out of the way. My German Shepherd is a basket case and will never go on the boat ever again. On land she is a wonderful dog. When we went swimming she stayed in the boat but lost her mind.IMG_-l8luu4.thumb.jpg.6876d4c3a94c68453c8e19372a5cfa74.jpg

• Like 1