3M 4200 or 5200 sealant for mounting transducer board to aluminum boat?

Netbender

Good Day, which 3m adhesive sealant works best for mounting a transducer board to aluminum? All the specs on the 3m web site say fiberglass.

Thanks!

Here's to bending your net! [emoji481]

Are you using it as a sealant, or an adhesive?  I've always used 5200 as a sealant when mounting the boards, but never depended on it as an adhesive. I just put a bead around the perimeter of the board and a dab at each screw hole. Never had a problem.

• Like 1

As a sealant. Using two screws to secure. I have one transducer that was mounted with three screws and 5200 around the threads in aluminum. Will I be able to get those screws out?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Yes, just clean off the old stuff with a razor blade. If there are rivet heads where you are mounting the board, drill a shallow relief hole so the board mounts flush. Same with the old ducer screws. Put them back in the hole with 5200 and drill a relief hole for the screw heads. 

• 2 weeks later...

If you put 5200 on your screw heads god bless you if you ever decide to replace that board.  That **** is no joke.  Ive used it on my garboard drain and below the waterline petcocks.  its permanent and is a **** to cut with a knife too.

My current transducer has three screws with 5200 on the threads into aluminum. Will they come out? I am in need of adding one new transducer for my new x4. I was going to pull my current one and mount the stern saver with 4200. Now I am not sure if the screws with 5200 will come out??

Shellback supports it, others do not.

I've never had a problem removing a screw with 5200 around it. I'm sure it would be big trouble trying to remove a garboard drain fitting with 5200 on an inch of threads. But I was talking about some sealant around the thread screw holes mounting the board to an aluminum hull. It's not like you are coating a threaded screw or bolt that's passing through a threaded hole 1 inch deep. Here's my original post.

"Are you using it as a sealant, or an adhesive?  I've always used 5200 as a sealant when mounting the boards, but never depended on it as an adhesive. I just put a bead around the perimeter of the board and a dab at each screw hole. Never had a problem."

I thought you meant you were going to coat the heads of the screws with 5200.  ie cover the flat head or philips head slots. That would be a mistake if you ask me. 

Coating the threads before screwing the fastener in is a different story. I never tried to back one out that was coated in 5200. I’d guess there would be a good chance of snapping the fastener. Then you’re in a real mess. 

On my fiberglass boat i overdrilled a pilot hole bigger than my fasteners. Then injected the hole with epoxy and let it set. Once the epoxy core set up nice and hard I drilled a pilot hole appropriatly sized for my screws into the cured epoxy. Then tightened the screws down. 

The Op is talking about fastening the board to his aluminum hull. The boards are usually fastened with sheet metal screws and they only pass through probably .100 thick aluminum. Can't imagine the 5200 preventing the screw from coming out. A threaded screw into a threaded hole is a whole different ballgame. 

When I pulled the screws for my P66 out to mount my transom saver board, the 3 screws all broke and luckily I had enough sticking out to grab with vice grips and remove completely. They all had caulk all over the threads which I am assuming was 5200.

Tyee, exactly my concern, 100%. As SS is not that strong to start with, 5200 on the threads, screw head breaking was what I pictured. They did come out with vice grips though.