South Bay Boat and Tackle

kstitan8

I used Southbay. My trim/tilt ram cracked. I needed a new sleeve and to have it rebuilt. They were $600 including parts out the door and had the boat back in a week. Everyone else I contacted wanted double that and a 4 week lead time. I 100% would go back there. I sent a friend there for his boat that had some motor issues and he said for what he had done the price was more than fair.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I used Southbay. My trim/tilt ram cracked. I needed a new sleeve and to have it rebuilt. They were $600 including parts out the door and had the boat back in a week. Everyone else I contacted wanted double that and a 4 week lead time. I 100% would go back there. I sent a friend there for his boat that had some motor issues and he said for what he had done the price was more than fair.

Great feedback. Any idea where they get parts from?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That I’m unsure of, I brought in photos and the part numbers I found on line and they did the rest. I assume they ordered right from mercury

I thought about bringing my boat there for some rigging but after talking to them and realizing they didn't know there was such a thing as a 24 volt trolling motor (requiring two 12v batteries hooked into a series) and arguing with them briefly that this is in fact how it's done, and NOT by hooking into a "24 volt battery" as they put it.....I figured I'd go elsewhere for service/other misc rigging.

All that aside, I like that shop and buy tackle from there sometimes,  and the two guys who run it are pretty cool. That discrepancy though showed me they didn't really know what they were talking about, so why trust them with other electrical rigging?

Is it not the two twins in their mid 20's who own it anymore? One of them was there about 3 weeks ago when I went in. 

Again, I like those guys and their shop, but that instance is what made me look elsewhere for rigging. For simple service I would consider them because they are a 5 minute drive from my house. 

Edited by krux5506
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've got nothing but good things to say about South Bay Boat and Tackle. They changed the main seal and u-joints in my Alpha One outdrive and did a great job at a reasonable price. Have recommended them to a number of other boaters for all kinds of repairs.  A handy place for bait and tackle too.

• 2 weeks later...
Nobody likes working on force outboards.

I really like the twins in there but the kid is a dick... I believe he told us... No, just buy a new one... Then it was "oh come on just do that yourself" and this was to my father that this was said

Sent from my Z983 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I take my Mercury down to Seager Marine in Canandaigua and i have nothing but good things to say about them.  I bought my boat from them and had them tune up the engine a couple years ago.  Sent my father there and he had a good experience there as well.  Little bit of a drive but can take the boat for a test run after they fix it.  

I also just had a bunch of work done at Seager's and was very pleased with the work. I will try South Bay next time, if they have since figured out there's such a thing as a 24v trolling motor and what a battery series is then I'd probably trust them to do my end of year maintenance. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Krux5506 I’m confused about your comments about South Bay not knowing the difference between 24v and 12v systems. I’m betting they know the difference from my personal conversations with them. But if you know soo much about putting batteries in series and know so much about 24v systems then when didn’t you install it yourself? One should not blindly criticize and bash a business online especially if your just being a YouTube hero. You maybe giving them a bad review just because you are not knowledgeable. On a side note South Bay is about the only tackle shop with a decent lake tackle selection left here in Rochester