Braid to Fluoro Splice

I’ll be rigging up my setups for the season tomorrow and one question I have for you guys is: what sort of knot or splice do you use to connect softer lines that will hold up to the strength of those trophy fish? Specifically, I’d like to add 30’ or so of 20lb fluoro to the end of 50lb braid on my in-line board/snap weight setups. I was thinking of going for a double-uni, but since it’ll be going through the guides under pressure, I worry about the knot getting caught and snapping while a fish is on. My other thought was to just use a large swivel to terminate the braid and only go with as much fluoro on the end as I can clip to my rod, so 7-8’ or so.

Thanks in advance.

-Sean

All you need is a #8 Spro swivel (50 lb test) and Palomar knot They will go through the tips and eyelets of most rods.

• Like 1

I’ve heard a lot of good things about Spro, I’ll have to order them next time I do some online shopping. For the time being, I’d imagine these would work just as well, right? Same size overall, just 38lb instead of 50lb, which should still make it stronger than the leader. I mainly use these to connect leader and tippet when Fly Fishing but I don’t see why they would work for this application.

FC0A28E1-C961-4057-AB89-47F6393F3878.jpeg

Edited by Char_Master
  • Like 1

I use the 35# spro swivels and have never had one fail. Double uni should work great as well. 

If you will be clipping the lines into releases a lot, I would use a longer leader so you can put the mono/flouro into the release instead of the braid. It will hold better in most releases and it is easier to see when you need to retie your leader.

15 hours ago, Char_Master said:

I’ll be rigging up my setups for the season tomorrow and one question I have for you guys is: what sort of knot or splice do you use to connect softer lines that will hold up to the strength of those trophy fish? Specifically, I’d like to add 30’ or so of 20lb fluoro to the end of 50lb braid on my in-line board/snap weight setups. I was thinking of going for a double-uni, but since it’ll be going through the guides under pressure, I worry about the knot getting caught and snapping while a fish is on. My other thought was to just use a large swivel to terminate the braid and only go with as much fluoro on the end as I can clip to my rod, so 7-8’ or so.

Thanks in advance.

-Sean

Swivel all the way!

Thanks for the quick responses, everyone!  I think I’m going to try those 38lb swivels I have on hand to start with and, if for some unfortunate reason I have one break, I’ll switch over to a double uni knot.

3 hours ago, Tyee II said:

I use the 35# spro swivels and have never had one fail. Double uni should work great as well. 

If you will be clipping the lines into releases a lot, I would use a longer leader so you can put the mono/flouro into the release instead of the braid. It will hold better in most releases and it is easier to see when you need to retie your leader.

I’ll be using inline boards so there shouldn’t be any releases to play with in the system. I will, however, be using snap weights to get down. This is my first year using them so would I be better off clipping them on the fluoro rather than the braid in order to avoid sliding?